Signing up with old router
overtheborder

Good afternoon,

I contacted Verizon earlier and asked the question, If I sign up for verizon will they allow me to bring my FiOS™ Advanced Wi-Fi Router? I'm only using the router as a router and not a wireless device. I have my own equipment that I'm going to use for that purpose, so i'm going to make the router as dumb as possible. For pricing purposes I want to use the Advanced router versus the Quantum router since i'm only using the router portion of the device.

When I contacted Verizon they stated "We dont reccomend using that", I asked them again if I will be able to use the older router and they said "I wont get Quantum Speeds". I asked one more time and they said "No its not compatible with our system, you would need to purchase the Quantum router."

I'm fairly confident that im being lied to, both routers have 1gig ports and that last time I checked "Quantum" isnt a technical specification. 

Can anyone shed any light on this? I've checked the forums and haven't seen anyone else have this problem.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Signing up with old router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I really don't know if Verizon will let you create a new account with an older router, but (FWIW) I have FiOS 75/75 Internet service and Quantum TV service and I'm still using my Actiontec Rev I router.  No problems at all.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@overtheborder wrote:

Good afternoon,

I contacted Verizon earlier and asked the question, If I sign up for verizon will they allow me to bring my FiOS™ Advanced Wi-Fi Router? I'm only using the router as a router and not a wireless device. I have my own equipment that I'm going to use for that purpose, so i'm going to make the router as dumb as possible. For pricing purposes I want to use the Advanced router versus the Quantum router since i'm only using the router portion of the device.

When I contacted Verizon they stated "We dont reccomend using that", I asked them again if I will be able to use the older router and they said "I wont get Quantum Speeds". I asked one more time and they said "No its not compatible with our system, you would need to purchase the Quantum router."

I'm fairly confident that im being lied to, both routers have 1gig ports and that last time I checked "Quantum" isnt a technical specification. 

Can anyone shed any light on this? I've checked the forums and haven't seen anyone else have this problem.

Thanks!

Depends what speed service you sign up for.  If you're service is 100 mb or greater you would need the newer router - if you want to take advantage of the extra speed..  If less then any old fios router will work.  If you already have one then you save on the rental charge they will try and stick you with too.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

This is all nonsense.  You can use the router you linked to without issue.    FIOS has had 500 packages out longer than the Quantum, so the bit about anything above 100 needing a Quatum is dead wrong.    If you order a 500 package from FIOS they are still displaying the Rev I as a router you can rent from FIOS.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

This is all nonsense.  You can use the router you linked to without issue.    FIOS has had 500 packages out longer than the Quantum, so the bit about anything above 100 needing a Quatum is dead wrong.    If you order a 500 package from FIOS they are still displaying the Rev I as a router you can rent from FIOS.

Of course you can, however if you use a 100mb router on a 500mb connection you are limited to receiving a theoretical max of 100, in actuality around 75.

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

@db909 wrote:

Of course you can, however if you use a 100mb router on a 500mb connection you are limited to receiving a theoretical max of 100, in actuality around 75.

What are you talking about?  The linked router is a Rev I and it is NOT a 100mb router.  Click on the link:

"One 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet WAN   "

Again, FIOS was selling 500 packages way before the Quatum came along.  The pictured Rev I was their top of the line router until the Quantum came out.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

@viafax999 wrote:

@db909 wrote:

What are you talking about?  The linked router is a Rev I and it is NOT a 100mb router.  Click on the link:

"One 10/100/1000 BaseT Ethernet WAN   "

Again, FIOS was selling 500 packages way before the Quatum came along.  The pictured Rev I was their top of the line router until the Quantum came out.

Totally agreed, however this is the first time you mentioned  your old router is a rev I router.

As the thread had digressed into a discussion of 500mb connections all I pointed out was that an old actiontec router, prior to rev G, I believe would limit your connection.

My eyes aren't good enough to see the color difference in the link so I never saw your picture..

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@viafax999 wrote:

My eyes aren't good enough to see the color difference in the link so I never saw your picture..

Picture?  Click on  "features" on the OP"s link....it is text. Big letters.
0 Likes