Six Strikes? How do I opt-out of this nonsense?
imjustmatthew

I've heard that there's some new anti-piracy nonsense going on, how do I opt out of this to ensure my connection is not affected by this?

0 Likes
Re: Six Strikes? How do I opt-out of this nonsense?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

As a start, if your Wi-Fi is encrypted with WEP Security (It is by default if you have any router that is not an ActionTec MI424WR GEN3 router, such as the Rev. G or I) change it to WPA2 security. WEP is very easily broken into and can be a prime target for those wanting to pirate if you have neighbors that like to pirate.

In addition, ensure your computers are not running Peer to Peer software "Torrent Clients" such as Kazaa, Limewire (now defunct), Bearshare, uTorrent, BitTorrent, Deluge, Bitcomet, etc; or that the usage of them is not being used at sites that distribute content that must be paid for normally, for free. I won't name sites but this is more or less an education issue for anyone who uses the computer at home. Torrents are great ways to get data if used for the right purpose.

If you do want to reduce the chance of piracy on your network, you could consider using OpenDNS as well. While it won't stop determined pirates, it will at least make folks think twice before trying to get to a site that involves piracy. As long as you make efforts to ensure your network is locked down and you've taken efforts to ensure that there isn't anyone doing anything bad on your Internet to your knowledge, then the anti-piracy folks don't have a case on you and can't have a case on you.

As for getting out of the Six Strikes plan, you can thank your nearest media company (CBS, NBC, Viacom, Disney, Time Warner, RIAA, MPAA, etc) for causing the worry because they haven't adapted to the times. There is no opt out. ISPs don't don't cave to it will be sued to oblivion or customer info will be handed out.

anonFios
Contributor - Level 2

Don't pirate stuff and your connection won't be affected by it.

Nothing will happen accidentally six times otherwise.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

look into Anonymous Torrent services.  Some of them are pay services but you have to do your own security.  Verizon has every customer in the program with no opt out option, so your alternatives are to simply protect yourself better. 

WPA2 encryption for your wireless

Anonymous Bit Torrent filtering if you're into Bit Torrents. 

Things of that nature. 

0 Likes