Re: Slow Download Speed - Tampa
w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tech was out here 2 days in a row. Replaced everything, still doesn't work. He called the network guy and he refused to help because the verizon Florida speed test site is giving good results.

He said 0.5 mbps down and 30 mbps up on speedtest.net, speakeasy.net and most verizon.net/speedcheck sites doesn't mean anything. He said the only one that is valid is the Florida verizon.net speedttest site.

Does anyone know how we can get in touch with a network tech that knows what he is doing?

jaegertech
Enthusiast - Level 2

After their failure to return a promised call, I called support again today. Apparently, getting a 0.5 Mbit for most of the net is the best I can expect from Verizon, so long as the Florida test site reads OK. The tech had absolutely no problem with that level of service. Thankfully, my contract is up. Hmmm... Keep getting the runaround on what defines a reasonable expectation of service or just jump ship?

w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

Still slow. 3rd tech visit scheduled for my house tomorrow. Getting tired of entertaining techs at my house for a MULTIPLE USER ISSUE!!!!!!

WHY WOULD YOU SEND TECHS TO A SINGLE USER FOR A MULTIPLE USER ISSUE!!! THIS IS TECH SUPPORT 101.

I am going to give them 1 more week before I call brighthouse. I need to work from home this Friday and I can't because of this. My cell phone minutes are all gone and I've spent 4 hours wasting time with techs at my house, and will probably spend 2 more tomorrow.

If your tech calls the war room, we need to find someone else besides {edited for privacy} or get his supervisors name. He is the one that is telling us that our service is normal. He has no common sense at all.

I'll come back to Verizon once they figure out the problem, so if someone from Seffner will bump this thread when the issue is finally resolved I would appreciate it. 🙂

jaball77
Enthusiast - Level 2

I ran into the same brick wall as w0rd yesterday.  Despite all the evidence I provided, nothing could convince Patrick in Brandon that there was anything wrong with my connection.  As long as the speed test from Verizon in Florida said 30mbps, the connection is perfect according to him.

My Evidence: Multiple users in the same area reporting the same problem.

His reply: "There are only 6 reports of slow speed in your area of 22,000 users!"

So I guess those 6 users are S.O.L.?

My evidence: Slow speed tests from Speedtest.net, Speakeasy.net.

His reply: Those sites aren't designed to handle the speed that FIOS provides because they were designed back when people had dialup (hahaha), and are generally useless and aren't engineered properly.  Verizon.net's Florida speed test is the only speed test is the only valid speed test.  No, you can't use the one in Georgia!

I don't even know what to say to this.  It's kind of like a car dealer saying "As long as your car can idle around our parking lot, it works perfectly, I don't care if it catches fire on the highway!  I think the folks at Speedtest.net and Speakeasy.net probably know what they're doing.

My evidence: 8% packet loss when pinging Verizon.net

His reply: Anything could cause that.  It's not our network!

Really?  A Verizon customer pinging Verizon.net isn't your network?

The technician that came out actually agreed with me that there was something going on with my service, but there's nothing he could do.  He didn't have the authority to escalate it himself.

At this point I'm not sure what to do.  You have an issue that's affecting multiple users and a mountain of evidence, but the people responsible for investigating it won't do so because they're convinced there's nothing wrong.  I've heard about a Verizon "Customer Advocacy Group" but I haven't been able to find any contact info for them...

nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

Uh oh, I have the same issues. Today it got worse - down to 1.9Mbps - even let the support tech share my screen and run the test from my computer to verizons speedtest site. It came back with 1.9Mbps, they reset my ONT and tried again - same speed. It showed the same speed that speedtest.net gave me - that network guy you mentioned is full of crap.

I have a tech scheduled to come out here tomorrow but I doubt he can do anything - the problem is at a hub somewhere.  I've been downloading a 167MB file for about two hours. Getting around 29Kbps **bleep**. It's coming from Apple's servers so Verizon can't tell me I'm connecting to a slow host. 

Hmm, maybe I'll dial up to AOL so I can get faster speeds. Ridiculous.

I'll post results once the tech does his thing tomorrow afternoon.

nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

By the way, even the built-in "diagnostics" on the router fail at the most rudimentary of tasks... a ping. Check it out: Ping Fail Pic

Below are the results of the speed test from verizon's site. What does it mean when it says "this connection is network limited 97.3% of the time?"

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [131768]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 23.35Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 1.22Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = i386, Version = 10.5.8
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.5.0_28

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 359104 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 14.76 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and 
There were 127 packets retransmitted, 364 duplicate acks received, and 412 SACK blocks received
The connection stalled 22 times due to packet loss
The connection was idle 6.78 seconds (56.50%) of the time
This connection is sender limited 2.69% of the time.
This connection is network limited 97.31% of the time.
Excessive packet loss is impacting your performance, check the auto-negotiate function on your local PC and network switch

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
w0rd
Enthusiast - Level 2

@nick_d wrote:

By the way, even the built-in "diagnostics" on the router fail at the most rudimentary of tasks... a ping. Check it out: Ping Fail Pic

I think that is normal, it looks like apple has pings turned off, probably to prevent a DoS attack with ping. Verizon.com is the same. The other stuff is not normal though.

0 Likes
jdvarmit

Another slow speed from South Brandon/Riverview. After the Internet Optimizer, Virtual Agent, Live chat, and tech support phone call it all comes down to this...if you are getting good speed from from their speedtest then there is not a problem. Not to optimistic about my options. Wait for Verizon to acknowlegde the issue or switch to Brighthouse.

0 Likes
nick_d
Enthusiast - Level 3

There must be some way to get a log to a network ops guy at verizon. I have issues even screen sharing with a friend who lives across town and he has FiOS also. Maybe I'll just drive downtown and start knocking on doors at the verizon buildings until I find someone to help. Is there even another fiber solution in the area? It took me 4 hours to download a 450MB file today - I can't work like this, that's for sure.

0 Likes
jaball77
Enthusiast - Level 2

W0rd and I must have gotten somebody's attention.  Both of us have techs coming out tomorrow, saying they're going to plug into the ONT and contact Level 2 network support.  Hopefully they'll find something and fix it.

I carpet bombed Verizon today.  Hit up their Facebook, emailed a random email address supposedly linked to the Customer Advocacy group, and told my tech from yesterday to follow up with his boss.... Something got somebody's attention!

0 Likes