Slow download speeds but fast upload after upgrading to gigabit internet.
jzheng16
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just had a technician come to my house yesterday to install gigabit internet. After he was finished we ran tests via speedtest.net and Verizon's own speed test. The results were the same. My download speed was the same as my previous plan at around ~80Mbps but my upload speed was ~900Mbps. 

The technician troubleshooted for like 2 hours after that while on the phone with another technician. After nothing worked, he told me that he believes my plan just hasn't updated yet and it should all be resolved within 24 hours (it hasn't). 

I tried contacting Verizon support today but they told me they couldn't even run any tests since I had recently rebooted my router and they need to wait at least 2 hours. 

So I'm just wondering has anyone else have this happen to them? If so what did you do to resolve it? 

0 Likes
Re: Slow download speeds but fast upload after upgrading to gigabit internet.
jonjones1
Legend

@jzheng16 wrote:

I just had a technician come to my house yesterday to install gigabit internet. After he was finished we ran tests via speedtest.net and Verizon's own speed test. The results were the same. My download speed was the same as my previous plan at around ~80Mbps but my upload speed was ~900Mbps. 

The technician troubleshooted for like 2 hours after that while on the phone with another technician. After nothing worked, he told me that he believes my plan just hasn't updated yet and it should all be resolved within 24 hours (it hasn't). 

I tried contacting Verizon support today but they told me they couldn't even run any tests since I had recently rebooted my router and they need to wait at least 2 hours. 

So I'm just wondering has anyone else have this happen to them? If so what did you do to resolve it? 

The router reference is bunk. You can have support after rebooting the router. To wit Verizon's tech support will restart your ONT and the router while you speak to them on the phone.

my guess is like others have said on this forum and others is that it has to be provisioned properly.

you can turn off the ONT and the router and restart each device on the router either via ethernet connections or wifi. Then test the speed.

verizon will get it provisioned correctly within a few days. It took 3 days for mine to be completed.

jzheng16
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to try restarting the ONT and the router and then see if anything happens. Can you tell me how to restart the ONT? They replaced my previous one with a new black rectangular box. 

EDIT: I see. If restarting the ONT and router doesn't work then I'll just have to wait until my connection is provisioned 

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@jzheng16 wrote:

Thanks for the response.

I'm going to try restarting the ONT and the router and then see if anything happens. Can you tell me how to restart the ONT? They replaced my previous one with a new black rectangular box. 

EDIT: I see. If restarting the ONT and router doesn't work then I'll just have to wait until my connection is provisioned 

The router can just be unplugged and count to 20 and plug it back in.

the power cord to the ONT should be around an electric outlet. Just unplug it for a few minutes, then plug it back in. Wait until the ONT is fully up.

then plug the router back in, wait for it to get a DNS connection and then plug in your computer into one of the LAN ports and then test the speed at the Verizon speedtest site. I don't have the URL but just google it.

the speed from Verizon's proprietary network will or should see blazing fast speed both

down and up. However I have never broken 980/880 from their site, and way less from http://www.speedtest.net 

verizon tech support can also restart both for you remotely which may be easier.

Good Luck

0 Likes