Slow download - Upload always faster than download
Soundchasr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've had service for several months now and have never been able to get faster than 300mbps download.  However, I'm getting 650mbps upload.  I'm checking the speed on Speedtest by Ookla.   Any tips or things I should check?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow download - Upload always faster than download
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is another answer.

Verizon (as well as other ISPs) only guarantee access speeds to their network.
Their speedtest stays within Verizon network.

Any other speedtests may involve other other ISPs so Verizon cant guarantee their performance.

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

@Soundchasr wrote:

I've had service for several months now and have never been able to get faster than 300mbps download.  However, I'm getting 650mbps upload.  I'm checking the speed on Speedtest by Ookla.   Any tips or things I should check?  Thanks!

First off Ookla is not a speedtest Verizon accepts. 

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

The above link is all they accept. And not under WiFi. It must be directly connected via ethernet cable from computer to router to Verizon’s servers.

0 Likes
Soundchasr1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  I'm wondering why Verizon doesn't "accept" other speed tests?  On their tests, they always look good but on other tests they don't.   My download speeds are slower than what I used to get with Comcast and this is supposed to be 9x faster.

jonjones1
Legend

@Soundchasr wrote:

Thanks.  I'm wondering why Verizon doesn't "accept" other speed tests?  On their tests, they always look good but on other tests they don't.   My download speeds are slower than what I used to get with Comcast and this is supposed to be 9x faster.

I know that’s strange but first you can only test with their branded routers to their proprietary network. So it’s going to be squed.

if you use any other router the Test cannot be performed . But if you use your own router like I do Ookla and other speed test sites do register real world speeds.

with both you cannot use WiFi only a direct connect to the router.

no service can guarantee WiFi since its going to be different from service to service, and different router manufacturers.

then there is internal versus external antenna and other features.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Here is another answer.

Verizon (as well as other ISPs) only guarantee access speeds to their network.
Their speedtest stays within Verizon network.

Any other speedtests may involve other other ISPs so Verizon cant guarantee their performance.