Slow download with Cisco VPN and Cat5
dirkdark

Downloads through my work vpn slow to a 200kb/s trickle.   Co-Workers accessing the same vpn through comcast experience much higher throughput at around 5mb / sec.

My connection is great otherwise, 25mb/sec or more on speed tests, etc.

I've read other posts in the forum regarding switching the router to use cat5, but I'm already on cat5 ( never had cable ).

the router is the verizon actiontec MI424WR-GEN2

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Slow download with Cisco VPN and Cat5
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Get the DRTCPtool from DSLreports and trying adjusting your MTU size on the interface that the VPN client uses.  I suggest trying 1300.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Cisco VPN should include a tool that allows you to adjust the MTU for the interface as it is. Don't think Dr. TCP would be needed here.

OP: Are you on a Windows XP machine or are you using something along the lines of Windows Vista/Win7 or OS X? have you brought up Cisco VPN's statistics page (Under Status menu) to see if it is perhaps dropping a high amount of VPN traffic? Tried switching the procol from UDP to TCP to see if it helps make any difference if your company allows for using other protocols? Have you tried verifying that the FiOS router was set up for NAT Transversal (Passthrough) for the VPN connection? How about a Traceroute to your company's VPN gateway?

0 Likes
dirkdark

Thanks for the tip, I'm running on a mac so I couldn't use the PC tool.  However, DSL reports has good instructions on how to figure out the best MTU manually.  Which I did.

However, the cisco VPN connection had already dropped their MTU to 1300 :

jnc0: flags=841<UP,RUNNING,SIMPLEX> mtu 1300
inet 10.20.254.236 netmask 0xffffffff
open (pid 17836)

So, I don't believe that is the problem.

0 Likes