Slow FIOS download speeds in Northern NJ
crs5

Hi,

I have 25/25 FIOS and just moved to another location 5 miles away with the same 25/25 service. I did a few speed tests when the installer left and everything was fine, I was seeing the full 25/25 basically or a little more.

Fast forward a few days and I ran some at night and I noticed my download is horrifically slow, even to Verizon's own speedtest and all local servers except one on speedtest.net. I'm routinely getting 30 down 25 up in the morning, but only 2-8 down (but still 25 up) at night.

Has anyone else in the area noticed this or is this a local thing? Should I call and will anything get done? If I'm getting 6 mbps at night and paying for 25 I will just go back to Optimum.

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Slow FIOS download speeds in Northern NJ
DJVoorhees
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having similar issues.  For the past few days my page load speeds have been painfully slow.  I did a speed check and here are my results:

Download Speed: 1279 kbps (159.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 13864 kbps (1733 KB/sec transfer rate)

My package is supposed to be 25/25.

0 Likes
crs5

I have confirmed this is affecting my office as well, which happens to have a business FIOS account.

0 Likes
crs5

Well, its 2:30 am now and I have 30 mbps download now magically. Someone needs to upgrade their infrastructure...

0 Likes
Hokiedad2
Contributor - Level 1

My theory is that the cold weather increases the viscosity of the electrons. But that's just a theory.

0 Likes
Titan1978

This is fluctuating way too much for me. Speed test varies between 2MBPS to 24 MBPS d/l.

Its worse during evenings. This distribution is a bit too disperesed to be simple an oddity.

0 Likes
lou611661
Contributor - Level 1

Same issue here,i have had fios since January 3rd,for the first week 0 issues,but now everynigt slow speeds,this is defently something on their end,the question is when are they going to do something.

0 Likes
crs5

Seems to be resolved for me.

0 Likes
JiveTurkey2
Contributor - Level 1

Questions:

1) All machines in the house/business?  If only one is testing slow, it could be an issue w/ machine (see below)

2) Wired or wireless?  This is a biggie.  Verizon doesn't support the wireless speeds/signal/connectivity.  Even if "it worked fine with  <insert lame ISP here>".  The variable is the wireless router.  It does have some limitations compared to newer Linksys/Netgear/Belkin routers.  But it is what it is.  If you want to use your own router for wireless, there are ways around this. (Can't post here, try dslreports.com, or simply Google it).  Also, keep in mind Verizon won't support a "bridged", "piggybacked", "daisy-chained" router configuration, switches, wireless APs, etc.  Like I said, Google is your friend. 😉

A hardwired connection directly to the Verizon router (and *only* the Verizon router) will yield 25/25 or whatever the provisioned speed is, period.

3) Are the PCs optimized?  The tech who connected the computer to the Internet runs software that optimizes the connection, wired & wireless (if it's, for example, a laptop hardwired into the router).  Any PC connected, wired or wireless, should be optimized by going here <---FiOS Optimizer.

It basically adjusts TCP/IP and MTU settings to maximize the connectivity FiOS provides.

4)  Check the LAN configuration.  (Control Panel->System->Device Manager), right click on Network Interface Card (NIC) and go to "Advanced" tab.  If it's set to "Auto Detect", "Auto Negotiate", etc., change to 100 Mbps/Full Duplex (or something like that) mode & save changes.

5)  Perform a factory reset of the router by pressing pushpin/paperclip in red circle on back of router for 10 seconds & releasing it.  (Yes, it will clear any custom settings like ESSID/WEP and you'd have sign back in to change it back)

6)  If all else fails, call Verizon, they'd most likely have to reboot your Optical Network Terminal.  If *THAT* fails (from what I've seen, VERY rare), a tech would have to go out to replace unit or have the technicians call their Tier II on site.

JiveTurkey2
Contributor - Level 1

A simpler solution could be a ping test to see if packets are being lost, or if there is latency. 

For example, open Command Prompt window, type ping www.google.com .

Of course, there's the tracert command too.

If there is a lag/long response time/timeout, try, again in Command Prompt, tracert www.google.com

That will track the path of data from your PC to Google's servers.  If things have a high ping in the first few hops (anything that says "Verizon" in the name), it could be a network issue.  If it's fine and starts timing out/lagging after the "Verizon" routers, it's a network issue beyond Verizon.  Usually on the end of a backbone router "in the cloud" or the destination's end (with Google, most likely a rare occurance).

0 Likes