slow FIOS
barneshr

My FIOS was very fast at first, but within a week's time, it's created the slowest OS I've had in 10 years.  What could have happened?  I want my cable back.

0 Likes
Re: slow FIOS
Hubrisnxs
Legend

well - what's slow?   start up of the PC,  start up of programs,  web surfing page to page, or actual download speeds?

barneshr

SLOW: downloads, page to page, typing response time, etc.  for example, it takes seconds just to move a cursor

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@barneshr wrote:

SLOW: downloads, page to page, typing response time, etc.  for example, it takes seconds just to move a cursor

Sounds like computer related, not internet connection related. You may have picked up a virus or something that is robbing all your resources. Look in your task manager and see if anything is pegged at 100%

Hubrisnxs
Legend

also try downloading and running some anti malware programs

verizon has one called Verizon Security Scan Powered by McAfee  this is not the full anti virus suite that they sell, this is a freebie, it works three times only before telling you, that you might need a real anti virus solution.

Also try www.malwarebytes.org   they have a good solid free product.

If those don't find a whole lot, then check for virus's at  http://housecall.trendmicro.com

0 Likes
mobyric1
Enthusiast - Level 3

definitely not a connection problem....something is eating up all your ram. open task manager, (ctrl-alt-delete, start task manager) click on performance.  if it is pegged @ 100% this is the problem.  could be a virus but its just as often caused by a new  program loaded on the pc (often by the owner!) have you added any new programs? even security software? anti-virus/anti-spyware programs are HUGE and eat a LOT of ram.  you dont want to go without security but if you recently installed one you may have exceeded your machine's capabilities....find a smaller one.

by clicking on the services and/or processes ( in task manager) you see all of the programs that are running on your machine,  look to the right for really big numbers.  you can sometimes spot the culprit right away, especially if the entire program name is there. some are not so obvious and you may have to google: "what is"  and the program name EXACTLY as it is listed. 

beware of the free scans advertised on these sites though, just read the posts