Re: Slow Gigabit Speeds
MyTechGuyRI
Enthusiast - Level 1

I upgraded to Gigabit about a month ago.... Speed has been slower than I expected, but I wanted to rule out all other possibilities as far as cables.... So, today, I installed all brand new Cat 7 cables from the ONT to the router (Fios Quantum Gateway), and from the router to my PC (running a new install of Debian Stretch Linux, PC has a gigabit ethernet adapter)

I was only getting about half the speed I should be getting... (450 mbps)

So to eliminate any other possible hiccups in the loop.... I plugged my PC directly into the ethernet port of the ONT (with the brand new CAT 7 cable), and disconnected the cable TV (so no chance of MOCA traffic slowing things down)

This is as pure a connection as I can possibly get direct to the ONT, with no other traffic.    Going through speedtest.verizon.net on this direct wired connection

I'm only getting 346 mbps down, 503 mbps up....

jonjones1
Legend

Did you read my post below yours?

if your not getting the speeds call Verizon and they will make sure you are provisioned properly.

0 Likes
Davidmp
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same thing here. Upgraded to Gigabit service and I am getting 150/80 speed on an Alienwear with Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The router test shows 980/900. What gives? 

The speeds from my desktop are actually slower than when I had the 150/150 service! 

jonjones1
Legend

@Davidmp wrote:

Same thing here. Upgraded to Gigabit service and I am getting 150/80 speed on an Alienwear with Killer e2200 Gigabit Ethernet Controller. The router test shows 980/900. What gives? 

The speeds from my desktop are actually slower than when I had the 150/150 service! 

Unfortunately Verizon only accepts the speed from their proprietary server to your home router. Nothing else is accepted. You are getting the up to speed. WiFi and device speed to your router from your device is not considered a Fios issue.

Msolo710
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having speed issues as well and just renewed my contract under false lies. Was told by two reps that I am getting speed to home. I had software resets twice without help. 

I have a 5th gen Intel laptop from HP. It does not have a gigabit port in the machine. Most new computers dont have them any more. I bought a TP link 3.0 to gigabit adapter.

I also have same issues. My speed varies.  My best speed was when I was plugged into the ONT cable bypassing the Fios and my Linksys Router with my gigabit adapter. I got speed < 160Mbps down and <400 Mbps up.

I spoke to Tech and was told the service is fine coming into home. It must be my equipment.....

I am bypass both my router and Fios quantum router. How can that be when I have the newer ONT box  and quantum router. Do the ONT to router cables go bad. 

I am extremely frustrated and want this resolved. I am not getting what I paid for

jonjones1
Legend

You are going to have to speak to a support tech. 1-800-VERIZON no one here can give you better speeds.

the Quantum Gateway must be the primary with ethernet from ont and ethernet from your computer (no WiFi) to this test site

https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

No other site site is accepted by Verizon. And no WiFi speeds.

verizon may measure the speeds from their servers to your ONT and may see that the speed to the home is there. If the speed from the router to the ONT is bad, then bad router, bad ethernet or bad connection from your device.

0 Likes
Msolo710
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been dealing with Verizon directly. It seems like lots of people have this issue which equals fraud or deception. 

Was looking to see what other people did which was why I contacted this board. 

jonjones1
Legend

@Msolo710 wrote:

I have been dealing with Verizon directly. It seems like lots of people have this issue which equals fraud or deception. 

Was looking to see what other people did which was why I contacted this board. 

You cannot blanket all of Verizon as “fraud and deception” since this help forum of customers helping customers is a small sampling of customers.

verizon gigabyte service states up to 940/880 speeds but are not guaranteed on a constant basis. If your router is bad and it’s a Verizon one, they will replace it. If your own router is not functioning you must replace it. 

Most systems cannot reach the up to speeds due to many factors. You cannot blame Fios for that. Now if you need a home tech visit they will come out. Verizon may charge you if that tech takes his readings and finds speed to the home is present. Then it’s an inside issue.

now if they find an issue they may have to make sure the provision goes to the ONT and then verify it’s an issue with your equipment or Verizon router.

just call them up and see what can be done. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Davidmp wrote:

Try to uninstall the Killer Software, leaving JUST the driver behind for the NIC. Killer's software can perform QoS and packet inspection, which can slow things down.

Beyond that, if you have Windows 8/8.1/10, try to use the speedtest.net app from the Microsoft Store instead of using a browser. Some speed tests when done through the browser will reveal other bottlenecks, such as how fast your hard disk can write, and this can cause inaccurate readings since the test will stall out.

YIRMASTER1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Not true Verizon has their own speed test and checks from their fiber optic network and then the side from their "device" but not sure if that is the white box in my garage or from the router inside.

Fios Gigabit internet connection as slow as 54 MBs to 275 MBs max on rare occassion when testing on verizon and googles gigabit testers
I disconnected the battery and unplugged my main unit in the garage where the fiber optic connection comes in per his recommendation.
I didn't have a service guy out but he was next door and I grabbed his ear for a few.
I also reset all the setting to factory default on my verizon router in the house and restarted it.
Also have been experiencing issues with watching TV, the screen goes black and no channels at all on the media server.
This seems to happen at random times, sometimes for 30 seconds, sometimes for 30 minutes or more.
On verizon speed test site https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/

it says around 930 GBs at device sometimes more, I'm not sure if that means the router or the white box out in the garage where the fiber optic line comes in?
Also tested on Googles Gig network speed test but results even worse http://speedtest.googlefiber.net/

Either way it says check, connection on the side from verizon device, once again not sure which device it's talking about and don't want to assume that means the router.
I checked the lines visually outside with the verizon guy and they look okay but at the pole not sure.
Either way I should be getting faster speeds inside my house than that, especially after I disconnect all devices from router except the pc I'm using, I also tried a newer laptop to see if that made a difference and the speed was even slower.
I have been testing with cat5e internet cables and swapped them out even and made no difference.
I'm guessing the issue has to be either the main white unit outside messed up internally or the new media server and my old router are messed up and need to both be replaced again and possibly the account settings reapportioned on verizons network services programming end. Some of those guys don't know what they're doing. I had to go through two people before they figured out they had to remove the old master device media server I returned from the account and not just assign a new one to even get the TV working right, at first they got it up but services paid for like the recording DVR wasn't working saying on screen I had to upgrade when I already was...

Getting frustrated here but doing a lot of my own diagnosis doesn't really save time because the guys on the phone want to walk step by step through the book directions they a reading from despite me telling them I've already done all that and then some and the order I did it in.

I used to work in the tech world installing and upgrading equipment, data migration to new devices, network services and finally mainframe corporate information services for a major cable company and siemans back in the day.  I think we shouldn't have to walk through all these steps and just get me through to an engineer who knows **bleep** their doing.

Uhhhggg.....

If they can't get gig servies to the computer or at least the router what the hell is the point paying all this money for it?