Slow internet speed on 1 of my computers.
Aurelia16

I have 3 computers in my home. My Fios Router is downstairs in the office of the house. There is another computer upstairs on the other side of the house. This computer is used for gaming mostly. My wireless connection barely reaches this computer and I am stuck with VERY slow speeds. I might as well be on a dial-up modem!  Verizon said I had to move the router for it to work. The only way to get all 3 computers to have access to the wireless would be to have the router in the middle of the living room which is not an option. 

My question is what would best help the upstairs computer to have acceptable internet speeds? The computer I have was custom built by a friend. I was considering buying a D-Link DAP-1522 802.11b/g/n Xtreme N 2.4/5GHz Selectable Dual Band Wireless Gigabit Bridge/Access point. Will this help? 

0 Likes
Re: Slow internet speed on 1 of my computers.
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you have a coax tv connector near where you other macine is you could look at the Actiontec ECB2200

http://www.techbargains.com/reviews/239444?r=1

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Use either a MoCa link as suggested above, or better yet just use Ethernet. I wouldn't bother with Wireless, as much as a different router (N-based) might improve the experience.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

I agree with smith6612, for a gaming rig, you definatly want a wired connnection. There are some wireless options such as relays or higher powered routers. You could even go with an EOP (ethernet over power) setup to get connection to the computer. But for gaming, nothing beats an old fashioned ethernet connection wired directly.

Re: Slow internet speed on 1 of My computers.
patriciacr1

My computer is running very slow , I through  that I had high speed internet

0 Likes
Re: Slow internet speed on 1 of My computers.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@patriciacr wrote:

My computer is running very slow , I through  that I had high speed internet

You should tell us what exactly is running slowly on your computer. A faster connection is only going to make a slow computer run slower while you're online. I've seen it time and time again with people running 20Mbps FiOS connections on some old Celeron box, and usage of the download or upload past a certain amount results in 100% CPU load.

0 Likes