Slow iPhone/iPad Download With Apple Time Capsule Bridge
dfp7y2p

I have just recently had Fios internet installed on the 75/35 plan, and my main question....why are my iOS devices (iPad2 and iPhone 4S) so much slower than my other wireless devices - primarily a iMac?

I'm using a Apple Time Capsule (Gen1) as a bridge to the ActionTec MI42WR (revision F) - where the MI42WR has the wireless disabled. 

On the MI42WR, WMM/QoS is disabled and the firewall is sent to minimal.  There are no such settings on the Time Capsule.

The Time Capsule is in bridge-mode set-up to broadcast on channel 2 as 802.11n (b/g compatible) broadcasting at 2.4 GHz with WPA2 security and a 2Mbps multicast rate.

Wired via Ethernet, I'm getting 78/38 Mbps (Speedtest.net).

Wireless to the iMac, I'm getting 73/35 Mbps (Speedtest.net).

But wireless to the iPhone 4S or iPad 2 (iOS version 5.1.1), I'm only getting 8/23 Mbps (Speedtest.net app).

Anyone have an idea why I'm getting such slower speeds on the iOS devices?  Does it have something to do with packet size?

And why would the upload be so much faster than the download?

I've tried resetting/restoring the iPhone/iPad - but nothing seems to improve the speed.  Any ideas would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Slow iPhone/iPad Download With Apple Time Capsule Bridge
Buffy3
Enthusiast - Level 2
I have the same problem. I upgraded the router which is supposed to support 802 n . Have you been able to find a fix ?
Thx
0 Likes
Re: Slow iPhone/iPad Download With Apple Time Capsule Bridge
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How big of a Wireless channel is being used by the AirPort Time Capsule? If it's 40Mhz and you have other neighboring networks you may want to back it back to 20Mhz to see if the speed is better. Also, consider checking for nearby channels but it sounds like you're already runing cleanly enough due to your iMac getting some good Wireless speeds.

Also, I would try using http://testmy.net/ from Safari on your iOS devices. The browser might crash when you try the larger file sizes but see if that site gives you some better results over the speedtest.net app. Your iMac and the app might be trying different servers.

0 Likes