SLOW MAC WIRELESS
Flyer11

Like many other postings, my Mac wireless is slow.  I pay for 25/25, and am getting it on my hardwired PC (after optimization).  Yes, I know my wireless will be slower. I am getting 25 down, but only about 4-5 up on the Mac. Plus, since they installed the Westell 9100 with my Verizon package, the Mac is slower than my Linksys dual band was giving me when I had  slower internet service on Comcast. 

I'm running the original Macbook Pro, with OS X, 10.6.8 Snow Leopard. I can't upgrade to Lion on this Mac.  I've optimized the Mac with IPNetTunerX. Not much help.  I've tried all the channels.  I really need some specific help.  I've noticed the Mac frequently says "Searching for Networks" on the Airport window, and I never noticed that before.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: SLOW MAC WIRELESS
LegndarySnake
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recommend running a Verizon's Speedtest. 

http://www.verizon.net/speedtest

You will need java.

After running the speedtest at the bottom is a small link to see more results.

Copy and paste that info into this forum.

It will have information like send buffer size, etc.

0 Likes
Flyer11

Thanks for the reply LS.  Here's the requested data:

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [131768]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 3.83Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 25.82Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Mac OS X, Architecture = i386, Version = 10.6.8
Java data: Vendor = Apple Inc., Version = 1.6.0_31

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 524280 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 155.53 msec; the Packet size = 1448 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.01% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 25.08% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 72.45% of the time.
This connection is network limited 2.46% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: ON
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address
Server says [{edited for privacy}] but Client says [192.168.1.6]

0 Likes
irbrenda
Contributor - Level 1

I have both Macs and PCs plus other devices using my Verizon router. I have the 35/35 pkg and the MI424WR Rev. F router.  Wireless speed and connectivity on both of my 2008 Macbook Pros, one with Snow Leopard, one with Leopard, varies from hour to hour, day to day, etc.  In fact, the Leopard one, which is really far from the router, connects but randomly and is slow.  My other Macbook Pro, the more powerful one,  is pretty close to the router and wirelessly  connects but speed truly varies.  I can be go from anywheres from 5 down to 13 down, and around 11-13 up.   You get 25 down wirelessly?  I never did.  I've tried everything, from changing channels and security settings, relocating my Macbook even closer, etc..  So, I just caved in and ran an ethernet connection.  Oh, I'm at 43/38 now!    Was about to run an Airport router to handle the wireless but I'm tired of being a failure!

0 Likes
Flyer11

Bonibee,

Thanks for the post.  Yeah, it does fine down, the problem seems to just up. I've checked it on both the Verizon speedtest and Speakeasy. I'm about 15 feet from the router, right where it was with the Linksys router, with the same equipment around.

What put me over the edge was when I was on a work internet conference call and tried to upload a Power Point doc from right next to the router (two feet?). It would not load up until I stole a cable from another device and turned off the laptop Airport.  Both embarassing and time consuming.

My up speeds have been consistently in the 3-4 range. Which leads me to believe it "could be" something within the Mac when the hardwire speeds hit the 25/25 service specs.  I'm hoping to find someone who knows Macs well enough to tell me either "Your Mac Airport can't do this," or "Here's how to tweak it."

Flyer1

0 Likes