Slow speed every evening
SpeedBump2

I have FIOS plan 25/5. The speed is at what it is during day time. However, starting from around 6:30 PM, the speed, especially download speed slowed down dramatically. It will be 5 Mbps at 7:00 PM  and 2 Mbps at 9:00 PM. At 11:00 PM, the speed will pick up and post midnight, it will be back to normal.

It happens each every evening without exception.

Does anyone have same issue?

0 Likes
Re: Slow speed every evening
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

To figure out where this could be occurring, perform speed tests at the following sites:

http://speedtest.verizon.com/

http://www.speedtest.net/

Test only from a wired connection (do not use Wireless) and ensure all devices on the network are not actively communicating to the Internet. This will eliminate variables that degrade your speed. The Verizon speed test will give us an idea if the problem is more localized, perhaps to your PON/CO/Regional Backbone, or if it's perhaps a problem with peering or transit to another location.

0 Likes
SpeedBump2

Thanks for the reply. Did the diagnosis in your post and the problem remains

Several months ago, I called tech support and went through all the steps in your reply. Tech support did remote desktop and concluded it is the configuration issue of our PCs, all of them, even though the configuration problem cannot be identified. FIOS optimizer did not improve at all.

Now since the call, all PCs are replaced. The newest PC is only 1 week old. Not only the issues persists, it also spread to weekend afternoons.

One thing the ping did on my side shows < 1ms from PC to router. Beyond router, it immediately slowed down to several hundreds every stages on its way.

The other thing is that the upload speed hold at its spec 5MPS all the time even when download speed <=2 MPS. It make sense as during rush hour, internet users are getting info form internet rather than uploading it.

It is obliviously a traffic related issue. A soft faulty hardware is choking speed when traffic is up.

Tried to call Tech support one more time this Wednesday but could not reach human being after 30 minutes. Will find an one hour block time to call again.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I hope you can get some help from tech support but in the mean time, a few questions about your situtation come to mind:

Are you in a stand alone (single family) residence or an apartment (multiple dwelling) type building?

What model router do you have?

Do you have any neighbors with FiOS and, if so, do they have the same problem?

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Somtimes its due to your "server" location.

Here's an updated record 

0 Likes
SpeedBump2

Since last Wednesday I called tech support but could not reach anyone, the speed picked up one day after. It was at ~ 6 Mbps at rush hour.

By Saturday, which was supposed to be the worst time, the speed was surprisingly up to spec 25 M/5M. Then the speed maintained at that level to today, almost a week!

It has been a problem for almost a year. Now things suddenly back to normal. No contact to Tech support at all. Nothing physically done at my side also. The only thing I did was to post at this forum. So it looks like if I have an issue and post here, it may be gone without officially contact Tech support  :).

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

It sounds like Santa Claus came early to your neighborhood.  Smiley Happy

Let's hope Scrooge doesn't come  back and slow down your connection again.