Re: Slow speed of Fios Internet Connection
nj1958
Enthusiast - Level 3
major issues with speed. i am being told by"customer service" that it is my computor and IE that is the problem! i can't get anyone to help me figure out what is going on. the speed test works as a guide but apparently its accuracy is in question. the fact is if you are getting the speed you are paying for it will reflect the speed close to what its supposed to be, if your not it shows a dramaticly slower speed. when you find help PLEASE let me know.
0 Likes
blindlarry

Was wondering if you tried my suggestion of running the TCP optimizer from TCP Optimize

It makes all the difference with my upload speed. Do a google for my speed and use the server nearest to you. Yes, my speeds drop the farther I get from where I live. That is just how it is. I have 15/15 and my speed report consistantly 15.5 down/15.2 down from my speed. Also, you might have to reset your router. What speed did you sign up for?  All the best! Larry--Sun City, Ca Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Howard

I have 20/5 service and the speeds are close to that when I check but I still think my old cable modem worked faster. I'm also not that impressed with FIOS tv. The picture is nice but HD picture on cable is just as good. The program guide is harder to use than the one I had from my old cable company and the screen blanks out if yoiu try and click through the channels too quickly.

Thanks for your help. I'll run the optimizer and see if that helps.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@fedexmonkeyboy wrote:
I was initially hooked up with ethernet which gave me a great deal of problems. I am currently with a coaxial connection, Which I was told is impossible for internet. {please keep your posts courteous}  I actually had to help a tv intaller get me back on the internet.I am recieving better service, faster connection speeds(upstream and downstream). I was wandering if it was a possibility to be totally all fiber optic- from the outsde to the router and into the computer and also the tv recievers? I have heard thatmost modern(newer) homes are having fiber optic cable installed instead of the old coaxial cable.
Message Edited by CharlotteS on 08-09-2008 02:35 PM

The FiOS architecture does not include fiber inside the home -- only to the premises.  Fiber signals are converted to signals compatible with the MoCA standard in the ONT, usually located outside of your house.  You can read about MoCA at http://www.mocalliance.org/en/index.asp.  I believe Verizon selected this technology for "inside the house" distrbution because it can use current wiring (if it meets the standards), or is much less expensive and eaiser to install (than fiber).

Message Edited by PJL on 08-11-2008 11:31 AM
0 Likes
daisy
Just received fios internet 10/2 not much faster than dsl.is you want faster speed i was told have to pay more.i would like to go back to dsl but i was told  verizon will not change you back to copper for dsl so you are stuck with it.even if you do not like it.
0 Likes
daisy

it seems fios 10/2 is not much faster than when i had dsl.and if you want faster speed you have to pay more.

0 Likes
blindlarry

Yes, bumping up your speed will cost you more, but at 20/20 you will not want to go back to anything ever again. Plus you won't be sniveling about how slow your speed is. You will then have bragin rights! Personally speaking for my self... My Fios is way faster than I had in San Diego with TWC. If you ask me, IT DON'T GET ANY BETTER THAN FIOS!!!

www.speedguide.net has the TCP Opimizer--Use it!

Thank you 🙂

0 Likes
mole
Not sure where the people on this thread live, but in eastern Virginia, Verizon Fios internet is way faster than my old Cox cable and tv picture is also better even standard def.
0 Likes
Steve
I dropped comcast cable for FIOS last week and it was not because of a slow internet issue, I just spent at leat 45 minutes on the phone with FIOS tech support. My Access to WEB pages is much slower then it was with my cable modem. The Line speed to speed test is excellent, but seems as if it takes 2x the time to bring up my home page and dealing with gmail is horendous. I was told by the tech we just promised you faster internet speed and you have it!  Boy am I outraged! I have a little background in IT and believe the hang up must be in Verizon servers. I cannot get a straight answer. These guys were well aware of complaints of slow response and all they can say is the line speed is fast, I will be filing a complaint tommorrow with Verizon.I asked what my options were, and the tech had none. I asked, Is my only option to go back to cable? I think we should make others aware of this.
0 Likes
Steve
Same Issue
0 Likes