Slow speed out of the extender after gigabit connection upgrade
Bwee2020

Hi.  I have the Quantum gateway router G1100 and I recently upgraded to the gigabit connection plan.  The speed out of the ethernet port of the router is ~900 MBps.  However, I also have a Fios WiFi extender upstairs connected to a coax connection thru the wall.  And when I tested the speed of the wired connection of one of the ethernet port out of the extender, I only got ~400 MBps.  Is that because MoCA thru the coax cut down the speed?  Would upgrading my router (and extender) to G3100 give me close to 1GBps upstairs?  Thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slow speed out of the extender after gigabit connection upgrade
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. The G1100 is MoCA 2.0 so that is why you are only getting 400 mbps. Upgrading to the G3100 which is MoCA 2.5 will help. You will also have to connect to the E3200 extender as well. The FiOS Network Extender that you have now is incompatible with the G3100. Honestly it is a high cost when you're already getting 400 mbps. At that speed 16 people could be streaming 4k at 25 mbps. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes. The G1100 is MoCA 2.0 so that is why you are only getting 400 mbps. Upgrading to the G3100 which is MoCA 2.5 will help. You will also have to connect to the E3200 extender as well. The FiOS Network Extender that you have now is incompatible with the G3100. Honestly it is a high cost when you're already getting 400 mbps. At that speed 16 people could be streaming 4k at 25 mbps. 

Bwee2020

Thanks!  If I upgrade to G3100 and 3200, would it help improve my wireless speed and coverage also?

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't personally have the new router and extender, but they are supposed to have way better range. They support wifi6(AX) which is faster than the G1100's wifi5(AC). They also MoCA 2.5 which is supposed to reach speeds of 2.5 gbps.