Slow Speeds on Natick, MA
sangnas

I've been noticing a severe slowdown around 7PM for the past week or so, my ping when I game jumps from 43 MS to 400+.  

As well as having to reset my router a few times a week just to get a stable connection - is there something impacting the  network around those times?  It's been consistant and frustrating!

0 Likes
Re: Slow Speeds on Natick, MA
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

Sorry to hear about the spikes in your pings. We would like to take a look at this. So we can get more information from you, I have copied your post to our private support board. Please refer all correspondences to there from here on out. You can easily get to the private support one of two ways. In the email you signed up for the forums with, you will receive a link to click on. Make sure you are already signed into the forums before clicking on this link. Another way of getting there is by clicking on your username anywhere you see it in the forums. This brings you to your account profile. Scroll down to the section labeled "My Support Cases" . In there you will see the link to your case.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The next time you see degraded performance, please run a traceroute to the game server you are playing on. This should allow us to get a basic idea of what is happening. Also, run a traceroute during a time where there are no problems for comparison. If you need help with doing any of this, just let us know.

0 Likes
mloebl

I suspect there's a bigger issue going on (I'm up in Tyngsboro)...  A ton of people in DSL Reports  Forums and on Verizon's forums are reporting MA and RI have been terribly slow since Sandy went thru.  Before the storm I consistantly got 75 - 85Mbps from even Verizon's speed tests.  Now getting 20Mbps if I am lucky, sometimes as low as 5 or 6Mbps.  What's weird is that the downstream is what is affected, upstream is pretty constantly 35Mbps.  Day or so after Sandy went thru it was at it's worst speeds I think I saw since DSL days...  slowly getting better but still a lot lower than it used to be.   My firewall (dual core Atom server running pfSense) isn't the problem, and I've reset the ONT a couple of times without any changes.

I suspect with the major flooding in NYC may be to blame, but I've seen nothing official announced about areas outside of NYC/NJ being affected.  TBH, as frustrated as I was with Comcast, I could get 30Mbps pretty consistently day in/out (can now get the higher plans for the same price.)  Hoping it gets better.   Streaming services such as Youtube are almost unuseable now unless doing 360/480 streams (yes I know Google has bandwidth issues, but it's worse now), downloads have been slower on average as well even with download accellerators.   PIng times for me have on the whole been pretty good, just looks like bandwidth is being throttled/bottlenecked pretty severely.  

I  normally don't get annoyed except for the fact I'm paying extra for 75mbs and not even seeing close to that anymore on Verizon's own server (none-the-less 3rd party servers).  Would be nice if Verizon at least admitted something more was going on.

-Mike

0 Likes
mloebl

Murphy's Law after posting that last night...  was sluggish still all day.  Sometime later this afternoon looks like something changed as it's back to full speed reliably now.  Much happier here... wish I knew what it was.  Hopefully in Natick you are having better luck now.  Fastest it's been for me since before Sandy.

-MIke

0 Likes
TonyaD_VZ
Contributor - Level 3

We sent you a message on our private support board to assist you and we did not receive a response.  Please repost the issue if you are still experiencing a problem so that we may assist you.  Tonya C.

0 Likes