Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

slow upload and dl speeds

macgig
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

slow upload and dl speeds

Message 1 of 6
(2,952 Views)

a few months ago I was getting 50mbps down and 50mbps up on a mac, using wireless.

today my download is 23mbps and the upload is 6mbps. ive changed nothing. not sure why theirs such a speed decrease.

5 REPLIES 5
Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: slow upload and dl speeds

Message 2 of 6
(2,948 Views)

Any improvement with a wired connection by chance?

macgig
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 3 of 6
(2,944 Views)

i'm unable to get wired to work with ethernet on the mac. which is weird it's worked before.

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 6
(2,939 Views)

You might want to check System Preferences to see if the Ethernet hardware is still being detected. The Ethernet adapter should also be set to use DHCP. Make sure a MAC Address appears when you go here: System Preferences > Network >Ethernet (May be Display Ethernet, Thunderbolt Ethernet, or USB Ethernet too depending on your Mac) > Advanced > Hardware. The presence of a MAC Address shows the Mac can see the hardware.

damich444
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 6
(2,701 Views)

Two things:

1.  I'm in the same boat on speeds.  My issue seems to be more acute on upload speeds.  Doesn't matter if I'm wired or not I'm getting 1-5 Mbps.  Download is generally ok.  FIOS is sending a tech out in a couple days

2.  Re the ethernet and the Mac - is it giving you a 'self assigned IP' message?   That happens on mine.  If it is here is the fix:   Go to the /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/ folder and remove the file called "com.apple.alf.plist," and then restart your computer.  Worked for me. 

macgig
Bronze Contributor I
Bronze Contributor I

Message 6 of 6
(2,655 Views)

not working here.

I get self assisnged IP and no ip, then this.

Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title