Re: Slow upload speed on evenings for almost 2 months now on 75/35 fios
Jb1677
I have the same basic problem though mine is more sporadic. Upload is basically unusable most of the day, Verizon simply has me run speed tests at various sites and then tells me "see all is well"

I have a tech coming again tomorrow (apparently on my dime) for one last ditch effort before I bolt
0 Likes
lamarchemj

Check to see if your router has QOS.  I had a similar problem and found that my router was actually preventing the maximum upload speed as the QOS service was only set to support 5Mb upload. 

Originally I was only getting 4.5Mbs upload even though I had purchased 50/25 Quantom.  After changing the QOS service upload value from 5 to 30, I am now reliably getting 59Mbs down and 29Mbs up using speedtest.com. 

Also, I found that my wired clients were not getting the advertised throughput until I ran the Verizon Broadband optimizer.  My IPADs got the full 59/29 as soon as I fixed the router, no special tweaks needed.     

My gateway / router is a Asus RT-N66U. 

-Mike

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Same issue here with very slow uploads on all devices in the house. As with others, I've done the optimization, reset the router, reset the ONT, reset DHCP, turned WMM/QoS on and off, and even tried different FIOS Routers and via ethernet cable. All the same -- slow, slow upload speed and timing out for any upload greater than about 750kb.  Verizon phone customer service tried all the basic things--line checks, remote ONT reset, and about a bizzilion speed checks, with no success. So today a Verizon Tech came to the house and manually reset everything, checked the household wiring, and then called his upper echelon support.

At first they said they didn't see a problem--all the lines seemed ok. But the Tech at my house could not upload anything bigger than 1mb on his own devices. So they thought maybe it might be something called a "bad pong" (this, I take it is a network card of some form up at the central office). But reseting the pong did not work. The upstream tech could indeed see that packet loss on the upload was high, but did not know why. So they decided to do something they call "kick the "key key"" (maybe "kick the kiki"?).  Even the Verizon tech at my house did not know what a "ki ki" is or where such a device might be found. But, apparently, kicking the ki ki is something that can only be done during the nightime hours.

So here I sit, hoping that this ki ki kick works.  If not, I have no clue.

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done
SendBufferSize set to [261360]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 1.55Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 57.26Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_21

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 30.2 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
There were 75 packets retransmitted, 1480 duplicate acks received, and 954 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 7.09% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 86.28% of the time.
This connection is network limited 6.63% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to: 
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Well, kicking the Kiki dd not work. Still no upload greater than about 750kb. Anything over just times out. Even web surfing has slowed down (despite still good download speeds) because of the delay in sending page requests and the back-forth communication between the browswer and the server.

What now?  And just to make sure I'm not crazy, I double checked using my iphone on wifi and then on 3G. The wifi stopped dead when sending an e-mail with a pic, whereas the 3G sent it in a jiffy. I also tested sending the e-mail to each of my several e-mail accounts with different providers, and uploading the photo to dropbox, CX, Google Docs, and MS Skydrive.  All uploads or e-mails on the fiber failed. But all on 3G went just fine.

Trust me Verizon, this IS a problem.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Headhunter6,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Please go to your profile page for the forum and look at the top of the middle column where you will find an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name beside your post, or at the top left of this page underneath the title of the board.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

And it just keeps getting worse. So slow now that even downloads are slow because the page requests can't get out. See this incredible Network Diagnostic Test !

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 322.21Kb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 47.41Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 8, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.2

Client Receive Window detected at 540160 bytes.
10 Mbps Ethernet link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
Information: throughput is limited by other network traffic.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 20.42 msec; the Packet size = 1460 Bytes; and 
There were 220 packets retransmitted, 1428 duplicate acks received, and 1624 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 14.87% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 72.78% of the time.
This connection is network limited 12.34% of the time.

Packet size is preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Here's even more ammo.  It actually bumpped up to a whopping .06 there for a moment. But because the test timed out, we never got a full result.

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Headhunter6,

Please post your information to the private support case thread that was created for you.  The agents assisting you with this will be looking for your updates there.

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

I think that your troubleshooting may have fixed the issue !!!!  

Just tested this morning and got good speeds on several tests and the Network Diagnostic Tool also checked out good.  Just to test a bit more, I sent myself a couple of large e-mails with photos, and they went fine too. So, I think we have it resolved.  

What was the problem, if you can tell me?  Can I also mention on the larger Support Forum that the issue is fixed and give a general description of what the error was?

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 33.84Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 58.17Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1

Client Receive Window detected at 261360 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Full Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 33.78 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and 
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.13% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 8.12% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 91.14% of the time.
This connection is network limited 0.75% of the time.

Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable

0 Likes
Headhunter6
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello Verizon,  As requested, I think you have resolved my upload issue. Uploads are now reliable and speed seems to consistently be above 20mb/s and usually nearer to 30-35 mb/s.  Again, thanks to everyone on the Verizon team for fielding this and sticking with it. Customer Service was fantastic.