Slower speeds after upgrade
lob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i am waiting on a techs response so i thought id also reach out here for any input.

Today i updated from 150/150 to 400/400 because online school starts tomorrow + 2 people WFH. My speeds went from around 120/130 to 92/94. Even if disable all wifi and only have my laptop hardwired w ethernet cable to router.. same speed.. cant get past at most 95/95 at best. So my speeds actually went down. As part of the tech rollout today i also got the new verizon router (the white wifi6 one)

Also, this site used to work for me: https://www.verizon.com/speedtest/ i now get an error on the first step (router) says timed out and i cant get a result? The only way i can get speed test results is from the business page speed test or speedtest.net etc..

A tech had me try to connect the laptop directly into the cat6 cable coming from the ONT (and bypass the router) - same result in speed tests. Therefore that rules out the new router correct? However my ongoing ticket seems to indicate a new router is being sent?

Confused on this one.. any help or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers

Lee

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Slower speeds after upgrade
lob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just following up.

The new jack created by the tech was indeed spliced incorrectly.

I created a new one myself and nows its fine.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.  Look forward to fios billing me for a rollout i had to then repair myself šŸ˜•

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Check to see what speed your Ethernet connection is linking up at. 95Mbps/95Mbps is usually indicative of a 100Mbps "Fast Ethernet" link somewhere in the mix. Either because of your PC's NIC or, because of the cable being damaged between the ONT and your device/router, between the router and a device, or the port on the ONT is cranky or has gone bad. Could also be a bad router if the problem only shows up with the G3100 present, but be sure to rule out cabling issues as well, as marginal cables can misbehave with some devices and not others.

Connect your PC directly to the ONT using a cable that is known to give 1Gbps speeds. If you're good there, check the normal cable run between the ONT and the router to see if it can produce 1Gbps with a PC connected on one end, ONT on the other. If not, most likely the termination on one end (likely the router end) broke. You can get tools to check the wiring as well as re-terminate the cabling from hardware stores if needed.

If you're getting 100Mbps at the ONT and you're positive your device/PC has Gigabit Ethernet, power cycle the ONT. If you have an ONT with a battery backup installed, disconnect the battery first then the A/C power. Re-connect in the opposite order. If you don't have a battery backup, disconnect the A/C power. Also make sure the port is clean - don't worry if there is a Gel-like substance in the port as that is used to keep dirt and corrosion from messing up the port.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lob wrote:

Therefore that rules out the new router correct?

Correct. Recently, another contributor on this forum also complained about the slow speeds after upgrading the plan. You might need to wait a day or two to let the Layer 3 switch at the Verizon's end to configure your incoming fiber connection.

Just to make sure all other parameters are ruled out (for a controlled experiment...)

1) The connection from ONT to G3100/G1100 is 1000Base-T.

2) The connection from G3100/G1100 to your device is 1000Base-T.

You can check this by going to the Advanced  -> Port Configuration

I just want to add some comments too. I have G1100, the older version of the FiOS Router, its NAT throughput is above 800Mbps. The WiFi 5GHz 802.11ac can deliver up to 568Mbps (M-Lab SpeedTest). So it is not bad at all. The only deficit is the MoCA version is capped at 2.0, I can

only get 480Mbps from ECB5240M. I am not considering upgrade the existing router to G3100. I have not tested G3100 myself, so I cannot comment on that.

lob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

>>1) The connection from ONT to G3100/G1100 is 1000Base-T.

>>2) The connection from G3100/G1100 to your device is 1000Base-T.

See below. WAN port reports 100? I am going to try to change it from auto to 1000 full manually, next time my kids have a break from online schooling. If this is it i'd be floored after over 10-12 hours online w verizon/fios support . I just looked at the cable from ont to router.. its the one the tech installed and it does appear to be cat6. I did try to switch it out last night w my own cat5e cable (that i know can do 1000) - however for some reason even after reboot i couldnt get it to get an internet connection unless i put back the one the tech provided. I'll update later. Thanks again

Port Speed & Duplex   Status

WAN Port100 Mbps Full-DuplexAuto10 Half-Duplex10 Full-Duplex100 Half-Duplex100 Full-Duplex1000 Full-DuplexAutoConnected
LAN Port 11000 Mbps Full-DuplexAuto10 Half-Duplex10 Full-Duplex100 Half-Duplex100 Full-Duplex1000 Full-DuplexAutoConnected
LAN Port 21000 Mbps Full-DuplexAuto10 Half-Duplex10 Full-Duplex100 Half-Duplex100 Full-Duplex1000 Full-DuplexAutoConnected
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You cannot manually change the speed to a higher rating.

It seems like a connector problem either on your ONT port, Router port, ethernet cable, or any combination of these.

Cat 5e can already handle 1 Gbps, no need to use Cat 6.

You need four twisted pairs to have 1000Base-T. Older cables may only have 2 twisted pairs for 100Mbps.

You probably need to re-clamp a new cable. Can you also take close pictures of your ONT and G3100 ethernet ports?

lob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

So i  connected the laptop directly into the ONT

I get 650+ or so. 

I then connected the router into the ONT downstairs and it went to 1000mbps

The problem appears to be the new jack he installed in the living room yesterday. Anything i connect to that jack gets limited to 100. So its either that jack (not sure if jacks even limit 100 vs 1000?) - or the cable running from the ONT downstairs - to the jack is bad. That runs out the house and back in again and is pinned. I dont want to mess with that myself. I am wondering if it was damaged during the pinning of it?

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

@lob wrote:

not sure if jacks even limit 100 vs 1000?

They do limit if only 4 wires is connected instead of 8.

802.3u Fast Ethernet 100Base-T uses only two twisted pairs (4 wires), but 802.3ab Gigabit Ethernet requires all 8 wires.

You can unscrew the jack and check if any wire is not properly connected to the terminal leads. You can pull a new cable for temporary use too. Pinning the wire can short the wires too, but check your town electric and fire code whether the pinning is mandatory.

In my house, I made an ethernet carry both 100Mbps and a telephone line. So 4 wires for the Fast Ethernet, the other 2 of the 4 is used to carry analog telephone.

lob1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just following up.

The new jack created by the tech was indeed spliced incorrectly.

I created a new one myself and nows its fine.

Thanks everyone for the assistance.  Look forward to fios billing me for a rollout i had to then repair myself šŸ˜•

RichL11
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes, this just happened to me as well. I kept getting 90 mbps where I'm supposed to get 300 mbps. Technician re did the connectors to both the ONT and my router and I'm at the expected 300 mbps now. Why is this so delicate - to splice a cat6 connector?

kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

In order to keep discussion on the community current, this topic has been locked to prevent new replies. If you have a similar question or issue that you wish to discuss, then please feel free to post a new message on the most relevant board. Thanks!

0 Likes