Slower Speeds on Netflix
josephcotten
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm getting consistently slower speeds on Netflix than any other service. If I ping Netflix's servers, it's giving me a lower Mbps down than speedtest.net or Verizon's speed check.

Thankfully Netflix now offers a speedtest app because people keep reporting that Verizon is throttling Netflix speeds.

Anyone else seeing this on FiOS?

0 Likes
Re: Slower Speeds on Netflix
jonjones1
Legend

They are doing the slowdown on Verizon Wireless and not on Fios 

https://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Verizon-Confirms-It-Throttled-Netflix-Traffic-as-Part-of-Test-13...

We must read carefully since although the same parent company they are not the wireless division.

Good Luck

0 Likes
josephcotten
Enthusiast - Level 2

Oh interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Still odd that I'm getting slower results on Netflix versus standard internet traffice while on FiOS.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@josephcotten wrote:

Oh interesting. Thanks for pointing that out.

Still odd that I'm getting slower results on Netflix versus standard internet traffice while on FiOS.

That slower speed could be the result of huge numbers are using Netflix. It is the number 1 service. And has been adding more and more subscribers. The actual bandwidth needed is low to watch Netflix. So it really should not be a problem.

are you using an app on a phone, tablet or connected device like Roku or Amazon or Apple TV etc. or are you using a computer?

like I said it should be stable to watch. 

0 Likes
Why pay FIOS premium if Verizon is throttling to 10 Mbits/second?
boat99man

Verizon admits throttling NetFlix and YouTube down to 10 Mbits/sec.   No notice.  And they bought the FCC to enable them to do this.  (but they were just testing).  Read this article!

https://siliconangle.com/blog/2017/07/24/verizon-admits-throttling-youtube-netflix-speeds-users-comp...

0 Likes
Re: Why pay FIOS premium if Verizon is throttling to 10 Mbits/second?
jonjones1
Legend

Read my previous reply to the original poster.

it is or was done on the wireless side. Which has nothing to do with Fios.

0 Likes
holymoly1

I am suppose to get speeds up to a Giga bit throught FIOS. I am lucky if I get 100 mega bits. Now I paid for the 4K Netflix. I can see the 4K on youtube. But on Netflix, it looks like crap. I don't get the speed I paid for. But now they slow my Netflix even further. Come on. 2019 and I can't watch a 4K movie after paying for it. I paid Verizon Fios. I paid Netflix. What more?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

If you are paying for Fios gigabyte Internet it is up to 940/880 not 1024/1024 which is even with the best equipment not obtainable.

call 1-800-VERIZON and see if you are provisioned for the gigabyte Internet.

Verizon has nothing to do with 4K or Netflix or YouTube. 

You need a 4k tv to view content broadcasted in 4k. Verizon cannot be blamed for that.

did you test the speeds at verizons official speedtest site? And it must be done via a direct ethernet connection and nothing over WiFi is accepted.

additionally in Netflix they require you to pay extra for 4k streams. And your tv must be setup in the TVs settings to be viewing 4k. Is your TV set up in the tv settings? Is your tv connected via direct ethernet connection? Not WiFi.

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

@holymoly wrote:

I am suppose to get speeds up to a Giga bit throught FIOS. I am lucky if I get 100 mega bits. Now I paid for the 4K Netflix. I can see the 4K on youtube. But on Netflix, it looks like crap. I don't get the speed I paid for. But now they slow my Netflix even further. Come on. 2019 and I can't watch a 4K movie after paying for it. I paid Verizon Fios. I paid Netflix. What more?

Only 25 mbps is needed for 4k for streaming. If you are getting 100 mbps then you shouldn’t have any issues. 

0 Likes