SMTP on port 25 does not work at home, but works fine at work. Both use FiOS internet
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

I understand that verizon blocks sending mail through 3rd party SMTP servers on port 25.  It occured to me that at work where we also have FiOS internet, the mail works fine using the same email settings.  My tablet sends mail just fine at work and does not send when connected at home.

I'm guessing that Port 25 must be open on FiOS business accounts? 

If that is the case, how can I get around this?  Setup all of my wireless devices to use verizons SMTP server?  How would that work when I connect to other wifi networks?  Maybe I should check if my company's SMTP server can accept connections on a different port?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SMTP on port 25 does not work at home, but works fine at work. Both use FiOS internet
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Dovahkiin wrote:

I understand that verizon blocks sending mail through 3rd party SMTP servers on port 25.  It occured to me that at work where we also have FiOS internet, the mail works fine using the same email settings.  My tablet sends mail just fine at work and does not send when connected at home.

If that is the case, how can I get around this?  Setup all of my wireless devices to use verizons SMTP server?  How would that work when I connect to other wifi networks?  Maybe I should check if my company's SMTP server can accept connections on a different port?

Thanks!

As stated on the Port 25 info page ( http://www.verizon.net/port25 ), it is not blocked for accounts with static ip addresses. That is most likely the difference between work and home. A static ip address can only be purchased on a business-class account.

I agree with the other posters here, use some other port (such as 587) that is supposrted by your provider of choice, or use another outgoing server. Verizon's server should always work on a Verizon connection, but you may have issues using it via port 25 on another provider's network. (Verizon is not the only company to block 3rd party use of port 25 on their networks.) The SSL settings should work, or use something like Gmail which always uses an alternate port.

Best of luck!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: SMTP on port 25 does not work at home, but works fine at work. Both use FiOS internet
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Change the outgoing port to 587, it'll work at home and at work.

However i'm not sure it will at some ad-hoc wifi site. 

I use a gmail account outgoing server address which typically works everywhere, home, work, starbucks etc.

0 Likes
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Good call on the gmail smtp server.  I'll try that.  I already tried 587 on my company's SMTP server and it wont work. I'll ask the admin if that is something we can configure.  Thanks.

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but Verizon does not allow outgoing mail (incoming to them) to originate from outside their network.  For example, I can send mail through the verizon mail server from home (on verizon) but not from work (not verizon). I have to use something else, like gmail for sending.

Retrieving is not a problem.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@weedeater wrote:

I don't know if this is what you are experiencing, but Verizon does not allow outgoing mail (incoming to them) to originate from outside their network.  For example, I can send mail through the verizon mail server from home (on verizon) but not from work (not verizon). I have to use something else, like gmail for sending.

Retrieving is not a problem.

Not true for me. I always use the Verizon servers (incoming.verizon.net and outgoing.verizon.net) and I regularly send and receive email from our lake house via AT&T DSL and from our Lodge there via Nortex Communications (a small local ISP and cable TV provider). Been doing it for at least 3 years. I have done this using both the old non-SSL port settings and for the last 4 or 5 months using the newer SSL port settings.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@Dovahkiin wrote:

Thanks!

As stated on the Port 25 info page ( http://www.verizon.net/port25 ), it is not blocked for accounts with static ip addresses. That is most likely the difference between work and home. A static ip address can only be purchased on a business-class account.

I agree with the other posters here, use some other port (such as 587) that is supposrted by your provider of choice, or use another outgoing server. Verizon's server should always work on a Verizon connection, but you may have issues using it via port 25 on another provider's network. (Verizon is not the only company to block 3rd party use of port 25 on their networks.) The SSL settings should work, or use something like Gmail which always uses an alternate port.

Best of luck!

0 Likes
Dovahkiin
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks, yes, we have a static IP here at work.  So, that's why our regular company email works fine on SMTP port 25 and does not at home on my residential FiOS.  I will check with my admin to see if we can use a different port for company emails.  If not, I will look into using my gmail outbound servers to send mail.  Thanks everyone.

0 Likes
rkkwilliams

I travel a lot and often find myself working from airport lounges, hotels, coffee shops, client guest offices, etc. where access to Port 25 is a problem. I have found the most useful solution to this problem in a funny little service called Loa Power Tools (htttp://www.loapowertools.com). I have been able to send reliably from anywhere. It has the added advantage that the outgoing email is encrypted as it travels from my laptop to the Loa service, so I'm not concerned about who may be snooping on my traffic in a coffee shop, airport lounge, etc. Don't know if you need a solution that's as complete as this, but it sure works for me.

0 Likes