SMTP relay.
bothunbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does Fios have an smtp relay for non-fios email?

I've always used my ISPs mail relay for sending out-bound messages with smtp-auth. It appears that with this Fios service I am unable to use their mail relay for "from" addresses other than @verizon.net.. 

Is anyone else able to use the version relay?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: SMTP relay.
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I use outlook and it should not matter.

I too am using outgoing smtp server:  outgoing.verizon.net port: 25 but from outlook I define "my outgoing server requires authentication".  In outlook express its "my server requires authentication".  From here you must use your email account name (less the @verizon.net) and password.

Are you able to send/receive email with your Verizon provided account?

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I was able to send out an email and said it was from <email>@gmail.com.  Not sure what you are doing differently.  

Just make sure you keep all settings the same for the outgoing mail that you would normally use for Verizon mail.  You must use authentication and the authentication must be your Verizon account info.

0 Likes
bothunbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

What settings are you using?

Here are mine:

out-bound smtp server:  outgoing.verizon.net

port: 25

I've tried two different username/password combos:

1. the userid I use to login to the verizon website to pay my bill, update account info, etc  <username>

2. <username>@verizon.net  with the password I use to login to the website. 

Thanks,

--Brad

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I use outlook and it should not matter.

I too am using outgoing smtp server:  outgoing.verizon.net port: 25 but from outlook I define "my outgoing server requires authentication".  In outlook express its "my server requires authentication".  From here you must use your email account name (less the @verizon.net) and password.

Are you able to send/receive email with your Verizon provided account?

bothunbr
Enthusiast - Level 1

I logged into it once. Its just a yahoo account. I just started my service in Jan maybe they have started pushing users to yahoo rather than supporting thier own email system.

Anyway, I'm using Mozilla Thunderbird but it shouldn't matter.. I'm on the phone with them now and they are moving my account from yahoo to verizon.net..

The problem was that my userid and password were not in the database for smtp auth because they had my account pointed at yahoo..  What vaule does yahoo bring? People will buy anything...

Thanks, for taking the time to look at my post..

--Brad

0 Likes