Re: So, what is the advantage of a wireless N router if you have 35/35?
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

So, is that a "yes."

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@zich6 wrote:

So, if I replace the card, I can get at least 30/30 with an N router?  Thanks.

Yes. it's best to replace the 1397 (You should keep the card around or sell it to someone who will use it. Don't toss it away!) with a card, such as this one: http://www.intel.com/products/wireless/adapters/6200/index.htm

That one is in fact a Dual Band card, in case you're wondering. It runs for no more than $30 online and it should be compatible with any system having a Dell 1397 wireless card in it. If you're wondering how it changes out, at the bottom of most laptops there is a door covering up the Wireless card. As long as you can open that door, remove the two delicate antenna connectors, unlock the old card, put the new card in the slot, lock it, connect both antennas, and put the cover back on the laptop, you should be good to go. I would never use a USB Wireless card on a laptop since the cards are easy to replace and all laptops have a dedicated PCI Express Bus just for Wireless, which is loads faster and has far less overhead over other methods.

As a tip: Most laptops put the Wireless card in the same location or somewhere near the RAM!

0 Likes
zich61
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks man.

0 Likes
Francis

Thanks for all the info - I just want to confirm that Verizon will not upgrade the router to N -- even if you pay for the new one?

0 Likes
Francis

Thanks for all the info - I just want to confirm that Verizon will not upgrade the router to N -- even if you pay for the new one?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not until they start selling them as optional upgrades for those who don't get the newer routers.

0 Likes
jim-pc1

So, what is the speed on my Verizon router? I have 35/35 and a second PC.

There's aluminum coated fiber installation between the Verizon router and the second PC and it slows things down terribly.

Lemme know please.

Jim P.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jim-pc wrote:

So, what is the speed on my Verizon router? I have 35/35 and a second PC.

There's aluminum coated fiber installation between the Verizon router and the second PC and it slows things down terribly.

Lemme know please.

Jim P.

With Aluminum you've essentially got a Faraday cage effect. I'd say you have three choices:

1: Go with a Cable to the PC

2: Remove the aluminum

3: Use some High gain/High power Wireless gear to bust through the Aluminum.

Not much of an option you really have. Wireless N speeds become less stable and drop off faster due to noise when the signal is being weakend by objects, not air.

0 Likes