speeds measured with MenuMeters on a Mac
lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I use a Mac and have 50/50 Fios. On sites like speedtest.net and others, I seem to be getting above the 50/50 (58/64 for example). 

I also use something called MenuMeters. It shows things like CPU use, disk activity and network throughput. For throughput, I never seen anything higher than 9/mbs up or down. (Display scaling is set to Linear. Other options are squre root, cube root and logarithmic. I haven't tried those but will if it's worth it.)

Am I really only getting those slow speeds? Is Verizon throttling my speed on all other sites besides speedtest and the other known speedtest sites? I did check out testmy.net and got 55 down/45 up, azurespeed were all in the kb range with two being 1 and 2 mbs respectively, Mailbigfile.com showed an upload speed of 31/mbs...

Sites like YouTube often stall. Other sites aren't as fast as I would think they should be. I realize that much depends on the site I'm visiting. Overall I am not that impressed.

What do you think?

Here's more info on MenuMeters:
The port that I am using (1.9.2) http://member.ipmu.jp/yuji.tachikawa/MenuMetersElCapitan/

The original version: https://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/FAQ.html

Thanks.

Cheers,

John L
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), 2.3 ghz, OSX 10.12.1
Connects via wi-fi (more info on request)

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: speeds measured with MenuMeters on a Mac
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is MenuMeters reporting BYTES or bits.  IF bytes those speeds look good.  I suspect Bytes as they often use a capital B to indicate Bytes a lower case b to indicate bits, and the screen shot I found for Menu Meters seems to be a capital B.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you using a wireless or a wired connection?

If currently a wireless connection, if you switch to a wired connection - do you see/have the same issue(s)?

0 Likes
lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wireless. I'll connect and see what happens. Thanks.

0 Likes
lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

Tested speedtest.net connected to the ONT (or should I call it rhe router. It's the only box the cable meets.) Got 57/64 but the menumeter showed only 7/8 (using the linear settering.)

I can try another test site.

Downloading a 1.6 gb file from MediaFire is taking ~6 min and the MenuMeter is showing averaging 5/mbs with nothing higher. Eyeballing the download it looks like about 10/mbs. Should a 1.6 gb file take 6 minutes? 

Shouldn't I expect ~50/mbs? (which would be about 30 seconds, no?)

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is MenuMeters reporting BYTES or bits.  IF bytes those speeds look good.  I suspect Bytes as they often use a capital B to indicate Bytes a lower case b to indicate bits, and the screen shot I found for Menu Meters seems to be a capital B.

lipwak
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think that's it. Thanks. 

0 Likes