Speedtest says 19 Mbps; file downloads fail at 12kBps
VicC

Just in the last few days, I can't download files.  The download process has short burst of a few hundred KB, and long intervals of no activity.  When short downloads succeed (2.7MB in 3 minutes, 11 KBps) I feel like cheering.  Most attempts die.  I get the same result with different computers, different browsers, different download sites, different files.

My laptop, at home, isno better than my home PCs.  At work the same laptop downloads the same files in seconds.

Speedtest says I'm getting 19Mbps down and 8Mbps up.  I'm perplexed.

Any thoughts?

--VicC

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Speedtest says 19 Mbps; file downloads fail at 12kBps
Hubrisnxs
Legend

might be a glitch in the matrix.   Sounds like he rebooted a lot of different things, and tried different pc's different browsers.   i doubt the issue would be isolated to any pc's at the house unless one of the pc's has a a download or file sharing thing going on without him knowing.

Try rebooting the main verizon box,  it's called the ONT and you can do that by finding the battery back up unit. 

unplug it from the wall

open it up, find the battery and disconnect the quick release.  leave it dead for about 2 minutes, plug in the wall first, wait for the red replace battery light and then plug in the battery and close it up.  go back in the house reboot the router, and try to download again. 

View solution in original post

0 Likes
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

Are you downloading normal files from normal websites? (Not torrents) ?

Try rebooting/resetting your router(s) at home.

Unplug the Verizon router for at least 30 seconds, then plug it back in. If you're using extra routers, do the same.

Then check your downloads again.

0 Likes
ABL

i been having super slow speed lately for the pass 3 nights and day now.

what the hell is going on with verizon?

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@VicC wrote:

Just in the last few days, I can't download files.  The download process has short burst of a few hundred KB, and long intervals of no activity.  When short downloads succeed (2.7MB in 3 minutes, 11 KBps) I feel like cheering.  Most attempts die.  I get the same result with different computers, different browsers, different download sites, different files.

My laptop, at home, isno better than my home PCs.  At work the same laptop downloads the same files in seconds.

Speedtest says I'm getting 19Mbps down and 8Mbps up.  I'm perplexed.

Any thoughts?

--VicC

Are there any other connections to the Verizon router when you are attempting to run your speed test when the issue occurs?

Are you hardwired to the router or wireless?

It could be a wireless interference issue if someone else has wireless on the same channel.

If you are wireless, attemp to plug the laptop into the router and try with the hardwired connection. This will isolate where the problem is located. You may need to turn off the wireless interface on your laptop to insure you are using the new hardwire connection.

VicC

Still slow.  I think I've tried all the obvious stuff.

I'm downloading normal files (including the Verizon In Home Agent) from sites like SourceForge.net  Using the same laptop, I downloaded a file in one second in my office; the same file at home:  fourtries, two successes at more than three minutes each, two failures (timeouts).

I'ver rebooted everything.  Used several different computers and browsers, as well as different files on different web sites.  I checked the cables.

The verison speedtest routinely shows 19Mmps download, but even small files are subject to delays in actual downloads.  And forget streaming video!  five seconds of picture and then wait a minute before the next sni[ppet!  (That's from NBC and ABC, not a peer-to-peer site).

Is there some setting that makes a home system look like a distributor?  Something that's catching me in an anti-PTP net?

0 Likes
nXt1
Contributor - Level 1

Do you have anything running in the background making uploads? limewire/torrent apps?

Do you have another laptop you can borrow and plug directly to the Actiontec router?

0 Likes
VicC

Good questions.  No, I don't have any processes running uploads that I am aware of.  Network activity (measured by a couple of different apps) is negligable between download attempts.

I used my office laptop to plug directly into the router, with everything else unplugged.  Even disconnected the cable coax to the TVs.  None of this appeared to make any difference.

My different computers all hae different antivirus software, too.  Probably not a firewall problem unless it's in the router.

Download speed is slow for other stuff, as well, like email.

--VicC

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

might be a glitch in the matrix.   Sounds like he rebooted a lot of different things, and tried different pc's different browsers.   i doubt the issue would be isolated to any pc's at the house unless one of the pc's has a a download or file sharing thing going on without him knowing.

Try rebooting the main verizon box,  it's called the ONT and you can do that by finding the battery back up unit. 

unplug it from the wall

open it up, find the battery and disconnect the quick release.  leave it dead for about 2 minutes, plug in the wall first, wait for the red replace battery light and then plug in the battery and close it up.  go back in the house reboot the router, and try to download again. 

0 Likes
VicC

Well, not sure if that did the trick or if something else happened, but FIOS is back.  Consistent good download speeds, and my wife was finally able to watch the YouTube video "john Williams is the Man" (which, btw, is cool).

One other helpful note from Tech Support last night: www.speedtest.net is a great independent tool for checking speeds.  It showed low speeds (like 0.05Mbps) when download wan't working, and 9-14 Mbps when it was.  (Verizon's speedtest, on the other hand, showed 19.4 Mbps every time.  Not much of a diagnostic tool.)

So, whateer did the job, thanks!

--icC

0 Likes