Splitting for Cable Box and Router
jay5w
Enthusiast - Level 2

Okay so heres the situation. Right now in my room there is only one cable connection in my wall. That was used to connect my small TV box (not the huge HD box, just the secondary ones that get put in several rooms) so I could watch FIOS in my room. The router for the wireless in my house was right down the hall plugged into the wall and running smoothly. Now i would like to bring the router into my room, except there is only one connection. I have a splitter from verizon, and have tried connecting both the cable box and the router using it. The cable still works perfect when i do this, but the router only turns on and wont allow me to connect to the internet. I have tried resetting it and everything, but nothing works. Is there a reason this isn"t working, and any solution?

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Splitting for Cable Box and Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What happens if you connect the router in your room without the splitter?  Will the router connect then?

jay5w
Enthusiast - Level 2

yup the router will work on its own too

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Then it sounds like you have either a bad splitter, or the patch cable you're using to connect from the splitter to the router has a bad connector.

Is the splitter a two way splitter?  That is, one input and two outputs?

Have you tried reversing the hookup so the cable that was going from the splitter to the TV box goes to the router, and vice versa?

jay5w
Enthusiast - Level 2

i just reversed the two cables running to the splitter, and the router did still not work, but the cable box did. even when disconnecting the cable wire from the splitter the router will not work.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If it's a two way splitter, vs. 3 or more outputs, then it sounds like you're not getting enough signal to the cable coming in to your room.

I suggest looking at how the coax is split between the ONT and the cable coming in to your room.  If there are multiple splitters, or that cable is on a higher loss port of a 3 or more output splitter, you might be able to solve the problem by reconfiguring how the run in to your room is fed.

jay5w
Enthusiast - Level 2

that sounds a little too advanced for me too figure out. is it just not possible to split the two different devices?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Yes, it's possible, but only if the signal going in to the splitter is good enough to still work after some loss.

The best two way splitter has a loss of 3.5 dB at each output.  If the signal at the input is marginal to begin with, that extra loss can stop the device being fed by the splitter from working.

I'm out of ideas on how you can proceed, other than getting some help from someone who can look at how the routing goes from ONT to your room and see if it can be improved.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jay5w wrote:

I have a splitter from Verizon, and have tried connecting both the cable box and the router using it.

Are you sure that is a Verizon supplied splitter and not one the installer might have removed from a prior cable installation?

Verizon uses MOCA between the ONT and the router and between the router and the STBs.  MOCA operates at frequencies over 1Ghz and requires splitters rated to 1Ghz.  If that splitter is not rated 1Ghz, it won't pass the MOCA signals. 

Check the splitter.  If you don't see any rating on it or it is rated upto 850Mhz, you need to replace it with a 1Ghz splitter.

If it is rated 1Ghz, then this isn't your issue.

What happens as a test if you leave the router where it is at and install the splitter in your room, leaving one tap empty.

Do VOD and widgets work on your STB?  i.e. can your STB get to the router through the splitter?

Try both taps.  One or both taps on the splitter could be bad.

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@Anti-Phish wrote:

What happens as a test if you leave the router where it is at and install the splitter in your room, leaving one tap empty.

Do VOD and widgets work on your STB?  i.e. can your STB get to the router through the splitter?

Try both taps.  One or both taps on the splitter could be bad.

It sounds to me like the OP has a DCT700 in the location where he's trying to get the router to work so he won't have VOD or widgets there, and unless I misunderstood, he's already tried both taps on the splitter.

0 Likes