STATIC IP for PS3/XBOX is this possible on FIOS Routers?
albania2012
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have both consoles and I am trying to figure out if it is possible to attatch Static IPs to these two devices?

I went inside the Router site and noticed they both were there with their own IPs assigned but I am wondering

if once I turn them on tomorrow will they have different IPs?.

I want to do port forward process for them or if possible add one to the DMZ in order to use VERIZON FIOS TV on xbox 360 with full potential, but if they get another IP tomorrow what will be the point?. So basically I just want to know if i can assign static IPs for both ON THE CONSOLES ITSELF then just use those IPs to portforward them or assign XBOX 360 t0 DMZ.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
Re: STATIC IP for PS3/XBOX is this possible on FIOS Routers?
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Yes you can do this.  The PS3 has the ability to accept a user-defined static IP address in the Network Setup screens. You have to do Manual Setup, not automatic. Manual will lead you through a series of screens for things like DNS server, Gateway, etc.  One of them (I forget what the actual order is) whil be either Dynamis or Statis IP.  This is where you give the PS3 the IP address you want.

I don't have an XBox but I'm sure the process is similar.

Be sure the IP addresses you pick are in your router's subnet (most likely 192.168.1.xxx) and be sure to change the router's DHCP setting to allow space for your statis IP's.  What most people do is set the router's DHCP to start at something like 192.168.1.20 and then use IP's 192,168.1.2 - 192.168.1.19 for their static devices.  

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

By default the verizon routers give out addresses starting at 192.168.1.1 and go up from there.

You may want to use a static address starting at 192.168.1.50 to avoid conflict with other devices on your LAN today.

0 Likes
klambert10

When I let my Xbox 360 automatically pick up its IP address (192.168.1.7) it connects fine but has limited NAT. When I try to assign it to 192.168.1.70, it fails to connect to the internet. How would I go about trying to fix that?

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Make you you complete the full requirements:

IP Address: 192.168.1.70

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1

DNS: 192.168.1.1

Once all of the above are entered you should be able to connect.  

0 Likes
klambert10

Thanks for the help. I had to update the DNS.

However, I'm still getting the message that my NAT type is Moderate on Xbox Live, even though I designated my Xbox's static IP 192.168.1.70 at the DMZ Host with the FIOS Router.

How do I go about making the Xbox completely open to the Internet?

0 Likes
JayTee2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Let's assume the router is physically fine....

First, did you run the network test from the Xbox?  If not, do so.

If you've done the network test on the Xbox and it still shows moderate/strict, let's confirm the router configuration:

• Verify that you updated the router's DHCP range so that some addresses will not fall in the DHCP range (like your xbox at 192.168.1.70).  So, you might set your DHCP range from 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.50).
  • Verify you've created a static address (192.168.1.70) on the router and verify your Xbox's MAC address was entered correctly.
  • Verify you've entered the IP address for you Xbox in the DMZ and selected the enable.

Finally, verify the manual network configuration on the Xbox, with the information jumpin68ny detailed in an earlier reply.

After making any change on the router, you should reboot it.  I prefer the hard reboot (on/off button on back).  Wait for the router to come back online and the internet light to glow green and start any network adapter you may have connected to the Xbox, then the Xbox itself.

It might help if we knew:

• What router and firmware do you have?
  • Is your Xbox wired to the router or is it wireless?
0 Likes