Static IP for Residential Service
davfz
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there any possibility to get a static ip for residential service.  I need it for vpn purposes to my corporate office.

If i convert to business service, will my tv/phone bundle still work?

Re: Static IP for Residential Service
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@davfz wrote:

Is there any possibility to get a static ip for residential service.  I need it for vpn purposes to my corporate office.

Static IPs are only available on a business account. 

It's unusual that your company requires a static IP for a VPN connection.

If you switch to business internet, you can keep TV and phone, but you will no longer qualify for a triple play bundle.

TV and phone can remain in a double play bundle, however.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@davfz wrote:

Your so called DHCP address on residential service may as well be static.  Mine hasn't changed in 2 years.  Typically it will only change if you power off your router for more than 5 hours or go into router admin and release the ip address.

If you convert to Business the rest of it still works.

tEKN01

How much is added to my original monthly statement if a I needed to add a Static IP?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What internet speed do you have? The cost of Static IP increases with the lower speed packages especially with Business. Static IPs are really cheap on the 150Mbps package, but are inflated in cost when you've got say, the 25Mbps package.

I also find it strange that your company requires a Static IP address for VPN access. Every VPN I've seen doesn't care what the IP address is, as long as you authenticate correctly and can pass packets without screwing things up. As long as you're not doing anything stupid like shutting down the router overnight you shouldn't be getting a new IP address. They should remain sticky, like mentioned above. My DSL connection only changes it's IP if the PPPoE session has been timed out for over a few minutes, which usually means my power is out or there's an outage taking place. I've had the same IP address on my DSL since mid-July, and it's survived a few small drops as we were messing with modes on my line. My router hasn't been rebooted. My relatives, who have FiOS, have had the same IP address for over two years and they have a Dynamic IP address. If they have lost power, it hasn't been down long enough to make the DHCP lease expire.

prisaz
Legend

I have also heard that business accounts do not qualify for PPV events and perhaps VOD.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You many want to consider using Dynamic DNS which is supported on the VZ routers.  I'm not sure if your requirement will work using a name instead of an IP address.

joscar1

Hi all,

I really appreciate all the great comments here on static addresses in the residential space, and would like to run this new variant by the group....

I have FIOS at work (business account) and have FIOS at home (residential - 50MB).  The work account has a block of static IP addresses (8 addresses provided) of which seven are used for R&D work in our labs, as well as one for the business VPN.   We develop products which require static addresses on the internet and so we need the static space for products that we locate outside of the firewall (in the DMZ) when we are doing the last step in the final testing of these products.   Of course, lab space is at a premium and the space is not always available to make things work as efficiently as it should be - I'm the boss, so blame me, but the budgets won't allow for more space.  As such, my "brilliant" idea is that I would like to be able to move some of this work temporarily to my "home lab", which has normal DCHP based FOIS residential service.   As another piece of info, my work and home phycial addresses are only about 5 miles away from each other, so the probablity that they may be on the same FIOS internal subnet might be good (maybe).  

So here is the question:  If I take one of the products to my home, locate it as a part of the DMZ of my router (or even place a small switch between the ONT and the VZ router, and connect both the router and my unit to the switch), can I then use one of the static addresses from my business FIOS to do the work I need to get done?   IOW, is the static address that was given to me as one of the ones in the allocated business FIOS block somehow tied to the ONT at work, or can it work at my home with the ONT there?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated and would help us A LOT.  Thanks!

0 Likes