Suggestion: Fiber to home, DSL inside the home
Bert22306

Verizon was smart enough to offer FiOS with the MOCA standard, so that homes already cabled for cable TV service can easily move to FiOS. But Verizon did nothing to make FiOS hassle-free for those of us who are cable-nevers.

We got DSL installed as soon as it became available, and it was perfect. No house calls, no waiting around for the technician. If you refuse to upgrade DSL service, for homes that have FiOS availability, then the least you can do is offer an internal DSL option, from the fiber box you install outside.

The sales guys never understand what I'm describing. I'm simply saying, continue to use the voice grade twisted pair indoors, just as you do with DSL service. From the fiber conversion box, offer to convert to DSL instead of MOCA. That would reduce any needed house call to a really bare minimum, and avoid the hassle for the homeowner. And with such short distances, the DSL service could easily reach 25 Mb/s of ADSL2+, which my modem is already capable of using.

0 Likes
Re: Suggestion: Fiber to home, DSL inside the home
jonjones1
Legend

@Bert22306 wrote:

Verizon was smart enough to offer FiOS with the MOCA standard, so that homes already cabled for cable TV service can easily move to FiOS. But Verizon did nothing to make FiOS hassle-free for those of us who are cable-nevers.

We got DSL installed as soon as it became available, and it was perfect. No house calls, no waiting around for the technician. If you refuse to upgrade DSL service, for homes that have FiOS availability, then the least you can do is offer an internal DSL option, from the fiber box you install outside.

The sales guys never understand what I'm describing. I'm simply saying, continue to use the voice grade twisted pair indoors, just as you do with DSL service. From the fiber conversion box, offer to convert to DSL instead of MOCA. That would reduce any needed house call to a really bare minimum, and avoid the hassle for the homeowner. And with such short distances, the DSL service could easily reach 25 Mb/s of ADSL2+, which my modem is already capable of using.

Ok I am going to bite. Fios can be installed quite easily if it is fully available for your home. I personally would just see about availability, order it, then let the Verizon installer worry about drilling the holes and making the whole process easy for you.

the installer is supposed to be an expert in these matters. Let them do the worry and you just sit back and have a beer.

it really is painless. We were cable users from the day we purchased our home. Verizon had no problem getting it installed and running perfectly. One of the best decisions we ever made.

0 Likes
Re: Suggestion: Fiber to home, DSL inside the home
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

No reason for DSL.

Instead of moca you can get internet via Ethernet direct from ont.

Matter of fact, for speeds of 100M or higher, it is only via Ethernet.

0 Likes