Surcharge on old routers?
lrowland200
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just recieved notice that Versizon wants to add a surcharge on old routers.  I have it but it is not what I use since I have use my own router.  Does anyone have advice on how to handle this?  I don't want to pay a surcharge for something I don't use and I don't need to upgrade the router since what I'm using is working perfectly.

I'll try calling tomorrow - just wondering if anyone ese has dealt with this.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Surcharge on old routers?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CRobGauth wrote:

Intersting thing is the arstechnica article states that this is being directed to people with the BHR routers which preceeded the Actiontec routers.

Anyone getting notified that ahs an Actiontec?

If so, is it a version I or a previous model?

Read Nilsa's post.
The rev I is not subject to the surcharge.  All earlier model are.

View solution in original post

Router Maintenance Charge
Eron2
Enthusiast - Level 1

I got an email that Verizon is going to start billing a monthly router maintenance charge, when the router was origionally included when I signed up for internet. I was told that the maintenance charge is being added since the Verizon provided router is old, but I am not happy since this is being sprung on me in the middle of my two year agreement. What good is a two-year agreement, if Verizon randomly ups the price with new surcharges and add-ons part way through that were not part of the origional agreement? Why not include this information in the origional agreement, or when they gave me the router origionally?

This seems like a really shady buisness practice.

vickizig
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd appreciate it if you'd post a follow-up after your contact with Verizon.  I received the same email.  This is yet one more annoyance after so many from Verizon.  This one might be the one that finally pushes me out the door.  Maintenance charge for what??

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't believe I have received that notice. Then again, the router I received was included with the residential FIOS start-up kit. I don't pay monthly charges for it. (I also don't use it. It's in a box in the closet.)

I didn't know that paying monthly was still an option. So, I looked. Sure enough, it is. $10/month or $149.00 if you just buy it outright.

I don't have a definitive answer, but If you don't need the equipment, you should be able to turn it back into Verizon and stop any charges for it. You aren't required to use it as far as I know. I don't.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, just for giggles, I opened a mock sign-up session for getting new service. When it asked whether I wanted the
Automatic Modal MI424WR Rev1 or Quantum Gateway, Model G1100 router, I also had the chance to say I have my own router. However, then the order cannot be completed online, and I'd have to call to place the order. There isn't an option to order cable cards either if you'd happen to need those.

Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Now we have a few people mentioning the got a similar email. Could you tell me what router you have?

I checked both email and snail mail, but I didn't get such an email. Not yet, at least.

Re: Router Maintenance Charge
apatriot
Enthusiast - Level 1

I received the same e-mail.   And I agree with you that this is a shady deal.  Like you, the maintenance charge was not part of the 2 yr. contract that I signed.  I spent a very long time this evening with Verizon on their Chat line trying to get a response to the fact that this maintenance charge was not part of the 2 yr. contract that I signed.   In the end the response was "you can call customer service."  I imagine Verizon figures that people will not take the time to deal with this issue since it is very time consuming.  I wish I could prove them wrong, but I suspect they are right.  In consumer vs. corporation, the consumer loses again!  

lrowland200
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called and talked to customer service.  They say they removed the old router but then said I may have to return it.  I signed up over 8 years ago and paid for the router when signing up.  The Customer Service guy said his records don't go back that far so he could not confirm it!  If I can find the old router I'll return it since it is useless to me.

Of course they still got me with some new bogus "regularotry fees" which still raised my bill almost $7. 

What a scam!

Larry

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yeah, not happy about this notice ... not entirely sure what "maintenance" this covers since Verizon does squat with the router and I'm postive that if it were to ever fail, they would make me buy a new one.   Only thing I can think of is that the provisioning / management platform requires a different interface than the Rev I or G1100 and they are trying to encourage getting rid of it so they can drop supporting it in their management platform.   A better approach would have been to upgrade the old routers for free.

I've been holding off on the project to convert from MoCA WAN to Ethernet for the public side of my network, so maybe now is the time to do that.  Was hoping to avoid fishing some ethernet cable into the basement, but guess I have a new weekend project to tackle.   I use Tivo for my STB's and cablecard, so having MoCA for Vz's STB's is not an issue and I already have additional MoCA bridges to interconnect some of my other LAN side locations in the house.

---------

Anyhow, as for the router itself -- it's the original model -- the Actiontec MI424WR with revisions less then "I" (like my revision "F").  I believe it's the routers which had the silver strip instead of the red one around the front.

vickizig
Enthusiast - Level 2
0 Likes