Fios Advanced Wi-Fi Router - Pricinjg Issues
Shema4t4
Enthusiast - Level 1

The letter I received from Verizon about my router needing to be updated says that the certified pre-owned I could buy for $59.99 can be found on their website verizon.com/upgraderouter but when I do to this site it only offers the $99.99 product. Someone at Verizon needs to explain this to me.

Re: Fios Advanced Wi-Fi Router - Pricinjg Issues
bampfer
Enthusiast - Level 2

If you don't see it on the website you should probably just call them. When I called to ask (i.e. complain) about the new fee, they presented the same choices to me on the phone as I saw in the letter. That included the lower-cost router upgrade.

0 Likes
Illegal Forced Monthly "Service" Fee for Router
ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2
Verizin just emailed to say it will start charging an additional $3 a month because I have an older router for my FIOS UNLESS I buy a newer model for $60.

Just let people keep using their older routers without charge, the way it's been for a long time. What genius bean counter dreamed up this unlawful scheme?

This is extortion and everyone should complain to their state's utility commission about Verizon's blatantly illegal action.

I truly despise Verizon. If it weren't a monopoly where I live I would switch providers yesterday.
0 Likes
Re: Illegal Forced Monthly "Service" Fee for Router
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

hardware costs are unregulated.

And Verizons stated reason is that it costs more to support older routers.

Especially when they enable new features that require additonal router config changes.

You don't say if you have TV service, but if you don't you can use your own router.

ksternberg
Enthusiast - Level 2
Unregulated for now. Thank goodness that set top box "rent" will be gone because customers will soon be able to buy them.

The newer refurb routers can't cost Verizon more tha $10 apiece. I hate them because the company is so brazen about stealing from its customers.
austincambridge
Enthusiast - Level 1

On what grounds is it "illegal and "unlawful"? Curious because Verizon have been sending out these emails for two months now.

0 Likes
Re: Router Maintenance Surcharge
darter1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Since these charges were not inclused in our "agreement" I constitutes breech of contract and renders the entire "agreement" null and void.

This will allow the effected parties to leave Verizion for other providers free of any pentalties.

So what would you like to do with the old router?

Re: Surcharge on old routers?
nico213
Enthusiast - Level 3

I received an email to either pay $2.80 monthly or ONE TIME 59.99 for a new router. What happened to our agreement or is this an excuse to get more money for those locked in to an agreement I do not use wi-fi it is shut off so how about sending me a regualr router or box I can use just for internet. I know one thing I will drop VERIZON when my contract runs out even if it means going back to COX cable. This site is so bad it took me a half hour just to post this as I was sent to sites I never seen before and I am already registered with the community/forums why all the problems with posting? I think Verizon is trying to discourage users from complaining but I am not complaining as I stated if they raise my bill after an agreement I will wait and go back to Cox cable plain and simple!

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Equipment and charges are not part of the fixed price in the agreement.

Pretty sure the Verizon lawyers know what they can and can't do in relation to charges.

nico213
Enthusiast - Level 3

If you have a Verizon router and are not using it then return it if you are using your own! They must have you down as owning it and want to charge but by returning it will stop the charge. I called on this problem and was told you can buy your own and return the one from verizon. My brother has an updated one and don't understand how he has one and I do not after 4 routers I had to replace and he replced his once?

0 Likes