Swap Actiontec MI424WR Router
jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Verizon needed to swap my Actiontec MI424WR router for performance reasons.  However I had a significant amount of time invested in my configuration so I was reluctant to agree.  Fortunately I had 7 versions of my configuration saved.  It was my understanding from talking with Verizon that I should be able to load saved configurations into the new router.  However when I go to do this I get ...

The configuration file that you are trying to load does not match this device

I could    save a configuration file from the old router and load it into the old router.

I can       save a configuration file from the new router and load it into the new router.

I cannot  save a configuration file from the old router and load it into the old router.

I can save a configuration file from the new router  and load a configuration from the new

Has anyone successfully swapped an Actiontec device or solved this issue?

There are the specs for the new router ... unfortunately I don't know the specs for the old one as Verizon took it.

Firmware Version: 20.10.7.5  

Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2  

Hardware Version: F

Got a response from Verizon and Actiontec and it's not a good one.  Configuration files are specific to device therefore new devices must always be configured manually.

Does this make any sense?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swap Actiontec MI424WR Router
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

unfortuanatly the configuration files for hardware versions D and older will not be able to be loaded onto router versions E and newer. Likely you had an older verison that will not allow you to load the configuration file. The only thing you can do is go in and re-set it up.

View solution in original post

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

This does make a bit of sense.  I have an older Actiontec router and the firmware version I have is:4.0.16.1.56.0.10.12.3

The insides of the newer boxes probably have different chipsets and of course have version of software.  

The look and feel of the firmware may look the same but there are inherint differences on the internal workings of these devices.

I'm sure its frustrating for you to learn this now.

Jim

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jimryan wrote:

Has anyone successfully swapped an Actiontec device or solved this issue?

It used to be possible on older versions of the firmware.  However, Verizon subsequently encrypted the configuration file and added checks to restrict configuration files to the device they were created on.

jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Apologies just realized I made an error ... but it looks like the two responses realized that.

I could    save a configuration file from the old router and load it into the old router.

I can       save a configuration file from the new router and load it into the new router.

I cannot  save a configuration file from the old router and load it into the ***new*** router.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

unfortuanatly the configuration files for hardware versions D and older will not be able to be loaded onto router versions E and newer. Likely you had an older verison that will not allow you to load the configuration file. The only thing you can do is go in and re-set it up.

jimryan
Enthusiast - Level 3

Bottom line ... as the prior two posts eluded to you cannot save a MI424WR-GEN2 configuration from one actiontec router and restore it on another.

nycplayboy78
Contributor - Level 1

Hey guys my FiOS router is 4 years old and I would like to replace it with a new model. How do I go about getting my old router replaced guys?

Thanks,

NYC =D

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@nycplayboy78 wrote:

Hey guys my FiOS router is 4 years old and I would like to replace it with a new model. How do I go about getting my old router replaced guys?

The following link is to an FAQ that explains if you request a new router you will get a refurbished unit.

I want the new router model. How do I get one?

edited to quote the previous poster and explain the link is to an FAQ.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

To the last two posters, your comment to request a new router is off topic.  For that I suggest you contact Verizon directly as these are peer-to-peer forums.

Jim

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@jumpin68ny wrote:

To the last two posters, your comment to request a new router is off topic.   

I was not requesting a new router.  I was referring the previous poster to an FAQ that explains that even if he requests a new router, he will get a refurbished router.  Likely rev. C, D or E.  Sorry I didn't make it clear it was a link to an FAQ.