Swapping a router
Mkstretch141
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have a quantum gateway router and my father in law just got the CR1000a router.  Both routers have no rental fees. I was wondering if I could use his router and give him mine to use?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Swapping a router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Swapping the routers between different accounts will be immediately detected. Despite not paying rental fees, if the router comes as a free rental as part of the Internet plans, swapping a free rental router onto another account not entitled to the free rental of the same router would incur a $20-30 monthly rental fee.

CR1000A can be purchased for $400 + tax on all Fios regions except Maryland (? not sure this exception is still valid at the time of post.)

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Despite not paying a fee, the CR1000a is being rented as, last I checked, Verizon isn't selling it outright. The router is associated to your father-in-law's account.

For Internet service up to 1 Gig, the 1100 and the newer 3100 are good.

In situations where Fios television is not being subscribed to, other routers can be used. Eero is one brand that is often mentioned. I used to use Linksys products before going all in with Verizon's equipment.

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Swapping the routers between different accounts will be immediately detected. Despite not paying rental fees, if the router comes as a free rental as part of the Internet plans, swapping a free rental router onto another account not entitled to the free rental of the same router would incur a $20-30 monthly rental fee.

CR1000A can be purchased for $400 + tax on all Fios regions except Maryland (? not sure this exception is still valid at the time of post.)

LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed. Please feel free to open a new thread for further discussion. Thank you.

0 Likes
Deejmon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does the cr1000a work in maryland yet? Thank you 

0 Likes