Switch to FIOS Triple Play using my own router and Tivo?
jdbst56

I'm currently a Comcast customer.  The only gear I use from them is a cable card in my Tivo Roamio Plus which is connected to their signal via coax.  I own my cable modem which I realize is worthless for FIOS.  The Tivo box is also connected to my ethernet LAN and serves as a MoCa bridge which serves my Tivo minis.  I use Ooma VOIP for phone service. 

I just got the offer in the mail from Verizon for the $79.99 (+ fees) Triple Play package with a $200 prepaid Visa card.  This offer might be the one that finally makes me jump from Comcast.

This is a new home, and I've never had FIOS before so no Verizon gear/ONT at the moment.  What would be the best approach to sign up to ensure my setup is correct?  I'd like to keep using my Tivo so I assume I need a cable card.  I'd also like to use my current router (Ubiquity ER-X) instead of Verizon's.  I don't care to use the Verizon phone service as I already have Ooma so it doesn't even need to be connected.  Can I just chat with customer service and tell them I'd like to take advantage of the new customer Triple Play deal, but I need ethernet enabled on ONT to use my router, TV enabled on coax, and a cable card?  It seems that others have a similar setup so I want to minimize the confusion for customer service and the tech that would be doing the installation.

Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Switch to FIOS Triple Play using my own router and Tivo?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

For your situation, you should be fine.

I am unsure of the speed that is part of your offer but if it is 150 or higher than there is a guarrantee that your setup will be configured for Ethernet.

In many areas for the lower speeds there is a preference for Ethernet over MoCA.

When your technician comes to install, you can let them know you'd like to have your Internet delivered over Ethernet and they have the power to make that change for you on the spot should it be set to use MoCA on the order.

You should ensure you have your home wiring connected to the ONT (well make sure the Technician knows where that connection point is so they can connect it) and if your TiVO acts as a MoCA brigde it should work. You will need a CableCard for your TiVo(s).

View solution in original post

Re: Switch to FIOS Triple Play using my own router and Tivo?
Seeker1437
Community Leader
Community Leader

For your situation, you should be fine.

I am unsure of the speed that is part of your offer but if it is 150 or higher than there is a guarrantee that your setup will be configured for Ethernet.

In many areas for the lower speeds there is a preference for Ethernet over MoCA.

When your technician comes to install, you can let them know you'd like to have your Internet delivered over Ethernet and they have the power to make that change for you on the spot should it be set to use MoCA on the order.

You should ensure you have your home wiring connected to the ONT (well make sure the Technician knows where that connection point is so they can connect it) and if your TiVO acts as a MoCA brigde it should work. You will need a CableCard for your TiVo(s).