switching from DSL to FIOS
edkinphilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi,

I've been a verizon internet customer for over 10 years, and I've been happy with them.

I was trying to figure out what would be involved in switching from DSL to Internet in my home. I have Comcast wired to three floors by my electrician for TV, and a DSL line connected via phone line in my office for Verizon for Internet, and TV's and routers  also connected via TP Link through the electric lines on three floors for Internet access.  

I'm not interested FIOS TV right now.  

I was told, or I misunderstood, that Verizon would have someone come out, look at our set up and show us what's involved with switching. I've already been told I'l need a two feet by three box installed in our family room, and no one would tell me what wiring we'll need, and I can only find out if I order FIOS.

I do not want some tech messing up my house, or my walls. I'd have my electrician do that. 

Switching my internet to Comcast would be easy, with no additional wiring.

So, my question is, since Verizon won't tell me, can anyone tell me what new wiring I'll need to have run in my house to switch my one DSL line to FIOS?

At this point, as I said, though I like Verizon, I'm very close to just saying the heck with it and upgrade to Comcast, if I can't find out what switching to FIOS will involve in my house.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: switching from DSL to FIOS
edkinphilly
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks everyone
Most of my friends are happy with fios.
Looks like I can have them install their equipment in our family room. If wifi gets through our house that will be all we need. And we can keep the phone down there.
In the meantime we will have our electrician out to see what work he thinks we'll need done after Verizon does what they do.
Thanks again
Ed

View solution in original post

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

FIOS requires installation of an ONT (optical network terminal) - depending on which equipment they are using, this is either mounted externally at the point of entry (near your DSL or Cable entry point) on your home our inside usually near the same location.

The ONT is powered and requires an electrical outlet in the near vicinity (for external mounts, the power is inside and the power cable run out to the ONT).

The fiber optic cable runs from Verizon's connection point (if you look around your neighborhood, you can probably find the access location) to the ONT - for underground installs, Vz will send out a crew to do a slit feed trench cable lay (and bore i find necessary to go under a driveway or walkway).

From the ONT, if you are getting no only internet, they will need a direct run Ethernet cable to the location where you want the router installed (the used to do this on a Coax run - and may still - but lately I've heard them using all ethernet.  If getting TV, you also need a coax feed from the ONT to your i. home cable plant.

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

They will need to install an ONT (Optical Network Termination) unit on your house typically outside).

Will then need to run Ethernet cable to some location that will allow you to distribute to the remaing parts of your house.

Comcast would be similar execpt they would use the coax connections you have.

I don't think they will wire your house if you don't want them to.

edkinphilly
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks so much for the quick answer.  I don't think they'll be forcing me to drop DSL for now, so I'm going to work on transitioning all my mail to something else so I'll be ready to drop Verizon

I thought I could get some advice from Verizon, but right now it appears the only way I can find out exactly what they'd do is to order the upgrade, then, they said we could "cancel" once the tech came out to our house and decided they could tell us what they'd do. 

That's not really a good business practice   It's a shame, I've been happy with Verizion,  but I  can't deal with such dreadful customer service. I had my comast cable installed by our electrician. not cheap, but beatufiul work. If Verizon would -- or could -- give me some info on what needs to be done so I could get an estimate, I might proceed.

But this process is ridiculous, and doesn't bode  well for for future service. Plus my neighbors are happy with Comcast Internet.

I've heard good things about FIOS, but  am really disappointed with Verizon's response. Guess one customer isn't worth that much.

Thanks again for your response.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

How can they tell you what they would do without seeing your home?

They can give you about the same specifics we have already given you.

And like I said, if you don't want them running cables in your house, they wont.
They will mount the ONT to the outside of your house (it will need to have an outlet inside the house nearby) and run the power cable from the adapter to the ONT.

What more info are you looking for?

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Gotta agree with CRobGauth ... to know where the unit will be mounted, it's going likely be where the coax and phone lines already enter your home.   An ethernet cable run to that location and a power outlet immediately inside that entry point (mine is in the garage and there is an outlet about 2 foot from the entry point) is all that's needed.  The modem will go wherever the other end of the ethernet cable runs.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that you ever decide to have FIOS TV you will probably need a Verizon router connected both to the ONT's COAX and Etherenet lines.  The Fios STB's  (or at least your primary BOX) need to talk over the COAX through the router to Verizon sites.

0 Likes
edkinphilly
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks everyone
Most of my friends are happy with fios.
Looks like I can have them install their equipment in our family room. If wifi gets through our house that will be all we need. And we can keep the phone down there.
In the meantime we will have our electrician out to see what work he thinks we'll need done after Verizon does what they do.
Thanks again
Ed
0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

The ont will probably not be installed in family room. That typically gets installed outside the house or in a garage. They won't want to run the fiber through your house.

If you have friends with FiOS, look at their installation to get an idea what is involved.

0 Likes