Tenda Router as extender
scang
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have an actiontec router:

Firmware Version:20.20.8
Model Name:MI424WR-GEN2

I also have a Tenda W268R router that can be used as a signal extender, but I can never get it to work.  I assign an IP to the router, stay wired to one port, configure it for no DHCP and use a different SSID and no security, but I never see it on the list of devices oin the actiontec router and when I connect to it via WiFi, I never get an internet connection.

I used the following instructions for router 2, obviously the actiontec setup is different for router 1.

http://www.tenda.cn/tendacn/Support/show.aspx?articleid=1859

Does PPPoE heed to be endabled or do I have to do something else to enable "WDS" or other extension on the router?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Tenda Router as extender
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@VUser50 wrote:

I never quite understood what about wireless extension required the main router to be complaint. 

Both the main router and the extender have to operate in both client and WAP mode.

i.e.  The Actiontec would need to be a WAP (which it is), but it would also need to be a client of the extender's WAP (which the Actiontec doesn't support).  

View solution in original post

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@scang wrote:

I have an actiontec router:

Firmware Version:20.20.8
Model Name:MI424WR-GEN2

I also have a Tenda W268R router that can be used as a signal extender, but I can never get it to work.  I assign an IP to the router, stay wired to one port, configure it for no DHCP and use a different SSID and no security, but I never see it on the list of devices oin the actiontec router and when I connect to it via WiFi, I never get an internet connection.

I used the following instructions for router 2, obviously the actiontec setup is different for router 1.

http://www.tenda.cn/tendacn/Support/show.aspx?articleid=1859

Does PPPoE heed to be endabled or do I have to do something else to enable "WDS" or other extension on the router?

PPpoE doesn't apply.  WDS is not supported on the Verizon router.   IF you are running wired between the Verizon Router and the TENDA you should not be having a problem. WIRELESS EXTENSION does not work with the Verizon routers so repeater mode is out.  Not sure what modes the tenda supports but your looking for bridge mode.  Another way to run it is not as a seperate network e.g 192.168.2.x with DHCP active.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

@tns_2 wrote:

IF you are running wired between the Verizon Router and the TENDA you should not be having a problem. WIRELESS EXTENSION does not work with the Verizon routers so repeater mode is out.  Not sure what modes the tenda supports but your looking for bridge mode.  Another way to run it is not as a seperate network e.g 192.168.2.x with DHCP active.

I think OP would be looking for access point mode if he went the wired route.

I never quite understood what about wireless extension required the main router to be complaint. 

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@VUser50 wrote:

Both the main router and the extender have to operate in both client and WAP mode.

i.e.  The Actiontec would need to be a WAP (which it is), but it would also need to be a client of the extender's WAP (which the Actiontec doesn't support).  

scang
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for all the information.  I gave up trying this, I really thought I was going crazy doing everything correctly, only to have the whole thing fall apart when I linked the two.

0 Likes