Terrible Gigabit installation experience
Waimon89

I recently had fios gigabit installed. I told the technician I wanted my router where it originally was. He then asked me where the ONT was and that was located in a different room. He instead asked me if he could leave the router near the ONT instead. Now my house isnt even half covered. At the original location the house was all covered. I was told by the technician that if I had any sort of connectivity problems I could just buy the extender but there shouldn’t be any need for that if my house was fine before the upgrade. Now Verizon wants me to pay an additional $100 for them to come back and run wire. This is such a crappy experience with Verizon that makes me not want to renew them after this contract is over. 

0 Likes
Re: Terrible Gigabit installation experience
jonjones1
Legend

@Waimon89 wrote:

I recently had fios gigabit installed. I told the technician I wanted my router where it originally was. He then asked me where the ONT was and that was located in a different room. He instead asked me if he could leave the router near the ONT instead. Now my house isnt even half covered. At the original location the house was all covered. I was told by the technician that if I had any sort of connectivity problems I could just buy the extender but there shouldn’t be any need for that if my house was fine before the upgrade. Now Verizon wants me to pay an additional $100 for them to come back and run wire. This is such a crappy experience with Verizon that makes me not want to renew them after this contract is over. 

Why have them run wire? Simply measure the distance to the old location from the ONT. You can buy cat6 ethernet  with male connectors. It comes in different lengths.

there are also female/female connectors which you can just add on your ethernet from the router to where you want it to be.

however this equipment may cost about $50 maybe more but it’s a simple thing to do.

i have always tried to go from the outside via running under the house siding to the location I want it to be then drilled a hole and ran the ethernet through the hole with a gel protector at the hole to seal it. Just make sure to run enough ethernet inside that opening to be able to position your router for best reception.

0 Likes