Third-party router for internet + phone`
Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've just ended TV service with Verizon but (for now) am continuing with their internet and landline. I'm considering upgrading from my legacy 75 Mbps router to 300 Mbps service but would want to buy my own router. 

Question 1: Is there a list somewhere of third-party routers that (a) are compatible with Verizon Fios, and (b) can support a landline phone (digital voice)?  (None of the lists for Fios-compatible routers I've seen mention anything about phone service.)

Question 2:  If I switched to Xfinity at some point (also with landline), would any of those routers work for them, too?

Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Third-party router for internet + phone`
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

The official tech support does not do home network planning. For questions like this, you need to ask them here.

Like I said, if you can repurpose the telephone CAT5e's into Ethernets, that's the cheapest way to go. You can use any router you want and can have the router upstairs.

If not, you can either buy a non-VZ router and a pair (2) of MoCA adapters, OR a VZ router with a single (1) MoCA adapter. The MoCA adapter you linked is overpriced. goCoax is cheaper even comes with 2.5GbE ports.

View solution in original post

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

When Verizon television is not subscribed to, most routers can be used. The only exception would be ones designed to work with Comcast.

The connection for Verizon Digital Voice is found on the ONT, as opposed to the router.

Comcast subscribers can purchase their own modem/router, but those units are not compatible with Fios.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for this quick reply.

First, I'm wondering why there are lists of routers online that indicate those specifically compatible with Verizon Fios.  The implication is that not all routers will work - and I don't think they're excluding only those few that are compatible with Xfinity services.

Second, if, as you say, the connection for Verizon digital voice is on the ONT, does that mean that any router that works with Fios internet will also support the landline phone? (This certainly isn't true for Xfinity-compatible routers. Only one or two on that list will work with phone, too.)

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The router is completely separate from the connection for Verizon Digital Voice. You could disconnect the router completely and still make & receive calls.

I used to use Linksys routers before going all in with Verizon's units. But the only routers that are not compatible with Fios are the ones specifically made for Comcast.

Comcast uses router/modems. Verizon uses modems. I'm not sure which general routers are not compatible with Fios.

If something is marked as a "cable modem" it won't work with Fios.

gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Bleb wrote:

First, I'm wondering why there are lists of routers online that indicate those specifically compatible with Verizon Fios. 

Because someone wrote a bad article many years ago and click-bait web-sites keep re-posting it.  Ignore all of them.

You can use any router you like with Verizon Fios when you're not using their TV service.  Verizon will not support anything but their router, but other than that, there is nothing about the Fios WAN connection that limits you to specific router models.

The router has nothing to do with Fios Digital Voice (FDV.)  FDV is handled completely by the ONT.  Plug your phones into the jack on the ONT and you'll be good to go.  You can unplug the router and phone will still work.   Again, you can use any router you like with Verizon Fios.

As others have noted, cable modems are not used with Fios.  All you need is a router.  Any cable modem / router combo unit will not work with Fios, as they use the cable modem for the WAN connection.  Don't use these, they won't work.

Again, you can use any ROUTER you want with Fios.

(Okay, you will have issues if you use a 20 year old Netgear with 100Mbps ports, but that should be obvious.  You can use any modern router...)

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks to both of you for these reassuring responses about my router options.

As I understand it, my current ONT, even though Verizon installed it (at their own initiative, to support higher speeds) a couple of years ago to replace the one I already had, can't support >100Mbps, so they'd have to put in a new one if I upgrade to 300.  My 10-year-old router is three floors up and I think it's connected via coax. Will the new system require them to somehow snake ethernet cable up three flights?

Also, my phone currently plugs into an ordinary wall jack. Did you mean it will now literally have to be plugged directly into the upgraded ONT (which is in the basement)?

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

If your telephone service is being provided by Verizon Fios, when the technician replaces the old ONT with a new one, the technician will disconnect the cables from the old ONT and connect them to the new one.  Nothing will need to be done with the wall jacks in the house.

Would it be possible to take a few pictures of the current ONT and post them for us to see what it and the attached wires/cables look like? 🤔 

Side note: submitted pictures go into queue for a Moderator to check before they can be seen by the rest of us. 🙂

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

So does that mean my phone can continue to be plugged into one of those wall jacks rather than directly into the ONT?

(A photo of my current ONT set-up is attached.)image

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looking at the picture, you already have the latest ONT. It is the black colored box on the bottom. I see telephone wires plugged into one of the jacks on the back of the ONT.

Personally, the way that wires for the telephone jacks are all twisted together isn't how I would go about connecting them, but it's just a personal preference. 🙂

So, nothing related to the telephone service needs to change. Your dial tone is being provided by the new ONT.

Bleb1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Interesting. Multiple Verizon reps (who of course have access to my records) swear that I DON'T have the latest ONT -- or at least not the version that would allow me to upgrade to speeds of 300+.

0 Likes