Re: This is a FIOS and TV question but really a router question
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

That would be the enclosure. The physical ONT is inside.

• I'm not used to seeing an ONT sitting on the outside ground.
Capricorn1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yep, that is probably where the actual ONT is housed. You can open the customer access side if you want. (I have opened both the customer access and trade access sides, respectively, in the pictures that I posted earlier. My ONT is mounted to the siding on my house, just above the block. Yours looks like it is mounted on a short post or something. I wish they had done that on mine rather than screw into the siding.

CharlesE1
Enthusiast - Level 2

They screwed mine into the brick about 6 inches from the ground and it isn't even close to level.

It is also a pain to open, but with a hammer and a crowbar....

Not my best photography skillz

Now to glue the cabinet back together with some duct tape. Think they'll notice?

Really? You need a nut driver to get into the box and a philips head to go where??? And then those two snappy things....

Yes, I opened and closed it without breaking anything.

OK, so doing a bit of research, it looks like this is gigabit capable - but - it doesn't look like I have ethernet going there and I'm not going to run ethernet between the ONT and where the router is - unless there is a workaround.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The pictures will appear once approved by a moderator.

Verizon used to routinely mount ONT enclosures to the outside of buildings. Since then, ONTs are now installed inside whenever possible.

A workaround to running Ethernet cable would be to purchase converters.... Ethernet on the ends and coaxial cable in the middle.

CharlesE1
Enthusiast - Level 2

It is a 1-211M-L ONT. I should have looked when I had it open if there was ethernet there.

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I did a quick scan of the entire topic to see if there is any mention of the house having a basement...but didn't spot it.

If the ONT can be moved inside, install a pair of converters and have Verizon move the Internet to the Ethernet jack.

CharlesE1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, but fully finished and there is a family room, office and bathroom before you get to the (mostly finished) 30x25 utility room, so I can't string wire.

I'll have to look if there is anything other than the coax coming out of the wall by the router