TP-Link Archer C7 and Fios...
mrwatts

Hello,

I recently ordered the 150/150 plan with Verizon Fios. The house I'm living in has already had the ONT installed by the previous tenants, with an ethernet running from the basement to the living room. I already have my own router, and have activated my order number already. Will I be able to connect my router and begin getting internet or do I absolutely need a Fios-branded router to complete my installation? They are sending me a package that arrives today, and I am still not sure what's in it since I didn't ask for a router.

0 Likes
Re: TP-Link Archer C7 and Fios...
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

You should be able to use your TP-Link router.

I have 75/75 service and I'm using a TP-Link C1900 with no issues.

0 Likes
mrwatts

I tried last night and couldn't seem to connect to anything, which makes me wonder if I need to go through the Fios router for installation first.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mrwatts wrote:

I tried last night and couldn't seem to connect to anything, which makes me wonder if I need to go through the Fios router for installation first.

The process should be that first make sure there is active service from the ONT.

If there is and you are activated then do a complete reset on your TP Link router via hitting the reset button. After that is done, take the ethernet cable from the ONT to the port on the TP Link. You then may have to sign into the TP Link Router and do a DNS release and renew, if the router receives an active ip address you are then good to go.

Not knowing what kit you have coming, you did state you were using your own customer supplied router on day of order? If not it would be the verizon router that is in the box. However if you are listed as renting the router from Verizon you will either have to refuse delivery, or keep it and set up the internet first on the verizon supplied router, then do a release of the dns and then imediately unplug the router and place your router in and it will get the dns automatically.

Again its up to you.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

these links may be of assistance to you.

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios 

Good Luck

0 Likes
mrwatts

How can I tell if my ONT is activated? I went to activate.verizon.com and entered my master order number I was given over the phone, and have set up an account. The package has been delivered to my house, but I won't get to it until I get home later from work. I asked for no router, and the only thing the site is showing me is a top box. Not sure why I would get that either, as I only signed up for internet. The date Verizon gave me was the 24th, but seeing as how I have my package delivered and the ONT has been in my house since before I even called them, I should be activated, correct?

Edit: According to the UPS site, package only weighs a pound, so it's can be a router or a cable box (still not sure why this was listed, maybe as a placeholder)

What else do they send besides the router?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mrwatts wrote:

How can I tell if my ONT is activated? I went to activate.verizon.com and entered my master order number I was given over the phone, and have set up an account. The package has been delivered to my house, but I won't get to it until I get home later from work. I asked for no router, and the only thing the site is showing me is a top box. Not sure why I would get that either, as I only signed up for internet. The date Verizon gave me was the 24th, but seeing as how I have my package delivered and the ONT has been in my house since before I even called them, I should be activated, correct?

Edit: According to the UPS site, package only weighs a pound, so it's can be a router or a cable box (still not sure why this was listed, maybe as a placeholder)

What else do they send besides the router?

Look at the ONT and if you see GREEN light it is active. If no lights are lit it has to be activated by Verizon either on the phone 1-800-VERIZON or through a Verizon Fios technician (Installer)

Verizon normally sends you a email telling you that you are active, or the date they plan on activating your service. Just because a ONT is left on your property does not mean it is active.

If you simply asked for internet, the posibility is the box may contain a router. If you did not ask for a verizon router either as a direct purchase or as a rental then I cannot fathom what is in the box. A set top box should not be sent if you have internet only. Also Verizon Fios does not use modems. And what speed did you sign up for? If this was a coxial install that may be the issue. I beleve it should be an ethernet connection since  I have read that in new installs verizon is pushing ethernet.

You will just have to wait until you get home to open the box.

0 Likes
mrwatts

The ONT was green last night, will check again when I get home. But as I mentioned, I could not get my router to work. There is both an ethernet cable and a coax cable running from the ONT in the basement to the living room. I signed up for 150/150 internet only. I'm thinking the box may just be some paperwork? Even my account has me listed as having my own router. 

Edit: Here's what they sent me via e-mail: 

Your new service will be ready on Apr 24, 2017 and since you'll be installing the service yourself, there's no need to wait around for a technician. Simply follow the step by step self-installation instructions that will be provided along with your new equipment.

Can I just call them now and have it activated instead of waiting around until Monday?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mrwatts wrote:

The ONT was green last night, will check again when I get home. But as I mentioned, I could not get my router to work. There is both an ethernet cable and a coax cable running from the ONT in the basement to the living room. I signed up for 150/150 internet only. I'm thinking the box may just be some paperwork? Even my account has me listed as having my own router. 

Your new service will be ready on Apr 24, 2017 and since you'll be installing the service yourself, there's no need to wait around for a technician. Simply follow the step by step self-installation instructions that will be provided along with your new equipment.

Can I just call them now and have it activated instead of waiting around until Monday?

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12846

Read this article above. It may need a physical on site tech visit.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@mrwatts wrote:

Verizon may have to do a provisioning of the ONT or even a pole climb to make sure you are actually connected properly.

0 Likes
Bob1692
Contributor - Level 1

When I got the upgrade to 75/75 they sent me a router even though I said I'd be using my own router.  The agent I spoke with said the router was free and I had to take it if I wanted 75/75.  There was also an activation date stated/provided.  My router and activation package (just some documentation) arrived several days before the activation date.  I also received a message like you did...

"Your new service will be ready on (a specified date) and since you'll be installing the service yourself, there's no need to wait around for a technician. Simply follow the step by step self-installation instructions that will be provided along with your new equipment. "  

Like you I tried it several times before the specified date, but, I had to wait until the specified date before it became active.

0 Likes