Trouble connecting to Fios on my Macbook (running 10.8.2)
Batik
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just got Fios installed in the hourse, and a PC and an Android phone have connected to it fine. But my Macbook (running Mountain Lion) won't work with it, either via Ethernet or via WiFI. When I try to connect, the Mac's network "diagnostics" all light up. Sometimes I can get to a single website at that point, but after a few seconds the "internet" and "server" parts of the diagnostics turn to yellow or red, and I can't connect to any other websites. Wi-Fi and Ethernet behavior is the same -- the WiFi signal is strong.

I though this might be a DNS problem, so I changed the router's DNS servers to those of OpenDNS, and then also changed the DNS servers on my Macbook. I also "flushed the DNS," which didn't help. And I turned off the firewall on my Macbook -- still can't connect, except for a second at most. And I'm confused about what to try next.

The router is a MI424WR Actiontex, 3rd generation -- do you think getting a new model of router from Verizon might help? Is that the next thing I should try?

Tags (2)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble connecting to Fios on my Macbook (running 10.8.2)
Batik
Enthusiast - Level 1

The problem is fixed -- it turned out to be a security program called DNSCrypt (http://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/) , which I forget I had running. It doesn't play well with Fios' router, I guess. Hopefully this will help out someone else with similar issues.... 

View solution in original post

Batik
Enthusiast - Level 1

The problem is fixed -- it turned out to be a security program called DNSCrypt (http://www.opendns.com/technology/dnscrypt/) , which I forget I had running. It doesn't play well with Fios' router, I guess. Hopefully this will help out someone else with similar issues.... 

AnnieS1
Contributor - Level 3

Batik,

Thank you for letting us know about the solution to your problem, and marking it as a solution!  We're sure that someone down the road will find the information useful.

AnnieS

0 Likes