TV–internet connection
Zakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

How do I connect my TV to my home wireless network? The Samsung owner's manual is hopelessly esoteric. Yhe only I could understand the instructions would be if I already knew how to do it.

0 Likes
Re: TV–internet connection
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Do you know if your TV has wireless or wired-only connection?

0 Likes
Zakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

The manual says wireless LAN connectors that plug into the set's USB port are available from Samsung.

jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

That is correct, I think for around $70 or so you can purchase the USB Wireless LAN Adapter for your TV.  I have a Samsung TV and Blue Ray Player.  The Blue Ray Player came with the USB Wireless LAN adapter. I plugged the ethernet cable into the Blue Ray Player and the USB adapter into the TV.  

So what do you want to do with the TV connected to the Internet?  The only thing we do with it is watch Netflix movies, not much else.

Zakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

The TV is hooked into my audio system, so I'd like to be able to stream concert videos and music in the living room, with better sound, and without having to sit in front of the computer and its smaller screen. Plus movies, of course.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Most Samsung's with internet can be wired or add a wireless adapter to a USB port.  Setting up a wired connection, assuming you can get a cat 5/6 cable to it, is easy.  Setting up a wireless connection is similart to most other such devices, i.e you need to know the network type (wireless), SSID (note it will search fot which any it sees broadcast),  security type (wpa2/wep/open), and security key/passphrase.  Note most verizon routers cannot do WPS which allows for an easier setup so you have to do "setup network (auto)" to select a network and enter the security key/passphrase.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@jumpin68ny wrote:

So what do you want to do with the TV connected to the Internet?  The only thing we do with it is watch Netflix movies, not much else.

The more recent Samsungs support lots of additional internet features.  Some of the top end 2011-2012 even support a basic browser.  Many give lots of choices of other movie providers (Amazon instant vidoe, VUDU, netflix, etc).  Youtube, Weather, news, and finance info.  Google maps, Pandora.  Almost all internet Samsungs also have an app for viewing your PC's video, pictures, and listening to your Pc music.  Samsung 3d Models have access to some free 3d including many IMAX 3d documentaries.

0 Likes
Zakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out.

0 Likes