UBNT ER-X added but Inactive. Do I need to call Verizon?
labooge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just purchase a UBNT ER-X edge router and plug it into my Verizon M1424W router via LAN port (hardwired). I can see the device on the network and DHCP assigns it an address, but its status is 'Not Active'. Connectivity tests fail. 

A friend told me I need to call Verizon to enable the device (with the MAC address). Do I need to do that just for the device to go active?

0 Likes
Re: UBNT ER-X added but Inactive. Do I need to call Verizon?
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No. The Ubiquiti routers and the FiOS router share the same IP address 192.168.1.1 so you will have to change the default gateway IP of either router. Are you trying to eliminate the FiOS router? Are you connected to the ONT via ethernet? Do you have FiOS TV?

labooge
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks. So I think you are saying I could change the default IP gateway on the ER-X to say 192.168.1.20 and that should resolve the conflict?

Re: your other questions...

1. I don't want to eliminate the FIOS router. I would love to put it in bridge mode but I don't think that's an option. I have the M1424WR device from Verizon.

2. I am connected to the ONT via coax.

3. Yes, I have FIOS TV.

0 Likes
labooge
Enthusiast - Level 1

I was referring to old notes when I said I had the MI424WR. After looking at the box I see it's actually the FiOS-G1100. 

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

What exactly are you trying to do? Did you want to make your Ubiquiti router primarily? What you need is to get ethernet from the ONT to the ER-X. Then change the IP of the G1100 to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server. This way everything will be on the same subnet. 

0 Likes
labooge
Enthusiast - Level 1

That's right, I'm trying to make your Ubiquiti router primary. 

I have coax from ONT to the G1100. Can I

1. Connect the ER-X to the G1100 via ethernet cable from a LAN port on the G1100 to the eth0 port on the ER-X, and then change the IP of the G1100 to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server. 

2. If not #1, can run ethernet from the ONT to the ER-X myself? That feels like something I'd need Verizon to do for me. 

Really appreciate your commentary on all this. Thanks!

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

To make the Ubiquiti router primary you need to run the ethernet from the ONT. You can do it yourself, but afterwards you have to contact Verizon tech support to change your WAN connection to ethernet. Try @VerizonSupport on Twitter or VZ Direct at dslreports.com as they provide better support than phone support. 
After the Ubiquiti is up and running on ethernet you need to reconfigure the G1100. Login and go to Network (Home/Office) settings and change the IP to 192.168.1.2 and disable the DHCP server. Also turn off the wifi if you are planning on using a Ubiquiti WAP.