ubuntu operating system
xdawg23

I'm building a new computer and I plan to use the new UBUNTU Linux operating system.  Any advice or experiences with hooking up a Linux machine to a FIOS router would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: ubuntu operating system
pamcphilly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I haven't had any problems with linux with fios.  I have used ubuntu, suse, and red hat with both dhcp from the router as well as static ips.  The machine should work fine as long as you have the correct drivers for your Network card.

prisaz
Legend

@xdawg23 wrote:

I'm building a new computer and I plan to use the new UBUNTU Linux operating system.  Any advice or experiences with hooking up a Linux machine to a FIOS router would be appreciated.

I have used Fedora and ran a SSH server with port forwarding and dynamic IP address resolution through dyndns.org, and all works great. No issues. Right now I am running an IP-Cop Linux box as my primary router with Ethernet to the ONT, and my Actiontec is only a bridge with no wan connections. Nothing gets past the cop, and with dans guardian proxy server everything is protected and logged.

I even ran Ubuntu to check it out once, along with various flavors of linux.

Justin46
Legend

For several years I ran Ubuntu in a dual-boot configuration on both a desktop and a laptop. I now run Ubuntu under VirtualBox on a laptop under Windows 7. No issues, every time I have installed Ubuntu it has contained the needed wired and wireless drivers for my hardware and has connected immediately. I don't think you will have any issues with Ubuntu and FiOS.

Keller, TX 76248