Unable to add Fios WiFi Extender
JurassicFios

Hi all, I need some help adding an extender to my network...

So I have the latest Fios Router (with gig speed) and I turned the wifi off on that because I actually have Ubiquiti APs running on 3 floors in my house.  I received a Fios extender because an outdoor camera is slow to turn on (and sometimes doesn't), so I planned on putting the extender possibly in my garage.  Anyway, the instructions on how to setup the extender are not that clear for me.  I connected it to the router but I keep getting the Green light (no wifi), I assume this is because I turned off wifi on the router?  I'm not sure, but can't find any resources on how to config/setup the Fios extender.  

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: Unable to add Fios WiFi Extender
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are three ways to connect an E3200 to a G3100.

. Ethernet cable

. Coaxial cable

. Wi-Fi

If Wi-Fi is disabled in the router, the extender won't be able to see it. Is there any possible way to run either an Ethernet cable or coaxial cable from the router to the extender?

JurassicFios

Well what I did was turn on 2.4Ghz on the router, then plugged in the extender again, hoping the extender would work.  It has a solid white light (meaning it works) when plugged in but when I unplug it goes to yellow light (no internet connection).

I'm thinking next I'll reset to factory defaults, then plug ethernet cable to get it set up.  The extender instructions say once there's a solid white light at that point, then I can disconnect the ethernet cable and move the extender where I want, plug it in, and should be good.  

I hope so!

0 Likes
JurassicFios

Nope, still solid Yellow, meaning no internet.

Is a wifi backhaul not possible on the E3200? 

0 Likes
JurassicFios

If I can't get this E3200 to work I guess I'll go with the TP-Link RE605X, or similar.

0 Likes
JurassicFios

Nevermind, since I have Ubiquiti, I just ordered an extender from them.  

0 Likes
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe that the 3200 uses the 5 GHz band to connect to the 3100. 🤔

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

Dexman, notice the OP said "newest router." Under the presumption that the OP did not mistaken G3100 as the newest router, but the CR1000A, then it would make sense that E3200 cannot establish a wireless backhaul with CR1000A.

E3200 cannot be backhauled to CR1000A wirelessly for both technical and administrative reasons.

E3200 may be backhauled to a CR1000A through coax or Ethernet, but it is uncertain whether E3200 will duplicate the wireless configuration of CR1000A.

dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah! I completely missed that one by a mile. 🙁

Good catch! 👍 

JurassicFios

Nope, I have the 3G100 Router.  The one that looks exactly like the Extender/E3200.

So the instructions in the box only had instructions for a wired backhaul connection.  I had to find the wireless setup online.  Perhaps the E3200 just doesn't do wifi backhaul anymore......

0 Likes