Unable to connect Dell XPS 400 to MI424WR
acm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just upgraded to Fios a couple of weeks ago.  The setup came with the MI424WR router.  I am able to connect wired to the internet on a Dell XPS 420 (Vista), Dell Optiplex GX270 (XP) and Dell Latitude D830 (XP).   Yes, I like the Dell product line.  In addition, the Latitude will connect wirelessly.  However, I am unable to connect a Dell XPS 400 (XP).

Of course, I have tried changing cables/ports connections and installed a new network card.  In addition, I tried a wireless USB with no success.  The XPS 400 is unable to log onto the MI424WR via 192.168.1.1.  However, all the other computers are able to log onto the MI424WR.

I tried bridging with my old router, Linksys WRT54G.   Prior to setting up the WRT54G as a bridge, the XPS was able to log onto the WRT54G successfully.  However, when I setup the WRT54G as a bridge, the XPS was unable to log onto either the WRT54G or MI424WR routers.  Note, the WRT54G was used by the XPS 400 and the other computers prior to installing Fios.

In my limited knowledge of networking, if the XPS 400 was able to use the WRT54G prior to installing Fios and is able to currently log onto the non-bridged WRT54G router, then the problem is between the XPS 400 and MI424WR router.  And I believe, it is an issue with the MI424WR router.

BTW, I have updated the firm ware on both the Dell XPS 400 and MI424WR router.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--ACM

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to connect Dell XPS 400 to MI424WR
acm
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the help. I have successfully re-installed XP and download all the updates. Tomorrow, I will systematically update drivers and install Office 2007 and WOW.

Once again, thanks.....this post was a success.

Sincerely,
--acm

View solution in original post

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
will that machine connect to the router when no other machines are connected ?  maybe the number of concurrent users is set to a low number in the router.   set it higher and try.    If the NIC and ethernet cable worked other wise, and you have tried different LAN ports on the back of the router, that is strange.  When the ethernet is connected from the router to the computer, does the LAN light on the router light up? what about the light next to the NIC card on the PC?
0 Likes
acm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion.  After unplugging wired connections and signing off the wireless connection, the XPS 400 was reconnected to the MI424WR router.  The XPS 400 was booted up after connecting to the router.  The XPS 400 still has limited/no connectivity and is unable to connect to the internet.  The status light are the same whether the XPS 400 or another computer is connected.  The connect light is on for the XPS 400, i.e., if connect in port 1, then the light for port 1 is on.  Connecting up a working computer (i.e., XPS 420) to port 2, the light for port 2 is on.  No other status lights change whether the non-internet connecting computer (i.e., XPS 400) or an internet connecting computer (i.e., XPS 420) is connected.

Yes, the light on the NIC does light up. 

In the prior post, I forgot to mention that I also performed a complete reformat of the XPS 400 and tried the verizon internet connection tool, with no success.

Is it possible to connect a second router not as a "bridge" router?  If it is possible, then I should be able to use the linksys router.   XPS 400 to linksys WRT54G to MI424WR to the internet

Once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

--acm

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Check the connection properties for the XPS 400 and be sure that there is no IP address conflict, and the computer has valid IP information for the network. If the XPS 400 has the ethernet connection set for obtain IP address automaticly and same for DNS then it should have a valid IP address. At a command prompt run ipconfig /all and note the IP addresses, default gateway, and DNS server. IP should be 192.168.1.x gateway should be 192.168.1.1 and same for DNS. Unless you have set up a different addressing scheme this is the default.
acm
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion.   After thinking about the windows re-installation, I recalled that the XPS 400 was able to connect to the internet to download Windows patches.  So tonight, I re-installed Windows XP.  Now the XPS 400 is able to connect to the router and, therefore, the internet. 

Tomorrow, I will track down which Windows XP update is causing the problem.  BTW, I have yet to download any Windows updates.

As anyone experienced router conductivity problems with any Windows updates?

Thanks,

--acm

Message Edited by acm on 05-25-2009 07:18 PM
0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@acm wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.   After thinking about the windows re-installation, I recalled that the XPS 400 was able to connect to the internet to download Windows patches.  So tonight, I re-installed Windows XP.  Now the XPS 400 is able to connect to the router and, therefore, the internet. 

Tomorrow, I will track down which Windows XP update is causing the problem.  BTW, I have yet to download any Windows updates.

As anyone experienced router conductivity problems with any Windows updates?

Thanks,

--acm

Message Edited by acm on 05-25-2009 07:18 PM

I have. I am very cautious when updating drivers from Microsoft update. Then I test funtionality of the device after I update the device driver. I have had a NIC driver do just what you had happen, then I was able to roll back to the previous driver. I had a nic driver update set to ignore for a long time, because MS wanted to push down a driver I knew would not work. This was on XP a few years ago. But I remember. Glad you got it working.

0 Likes
acm
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the help. I have successfully re-installed XP and download all the updates. Tomorrow, I will systematically update drivers and install Office 2007 and WOW.

Once again, thanks.....this post was a success.

Sincerely,
--acm
0 Likes