Re: Unable To Connect To Certain Websites
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

dude, i have the same issue. they did a firmware update last night on 2-24-2014.  and now i cannot connect some simple websites like YAHOO and NEWEGG.com.  something is defintely wrong. did you find out what the problem is?

0 Likes
cbenard
Enthusiast - Level 2

mbabin, I adjusted my original reply. I incorrectly stated 1468. 1468 was the max ping size I got working, but I forgot to add back the IP header of 28 bytes. I changed the MTU back up to 1496 and it's still working, and I'm only losing 4 bytes now from the default, rather than 32.

Hope this helps.

RayBeecherTX1
I just found out from Vzon online chat rep that this now being treated as an outage by Verizon. About time. PTL.
0 Likes
mbabin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

cbenard, Thanks for the update. I also changed the MTU setting on the router to 1496 and am still not experiencing the problem. I've also edited my original reply to you with the updated MTU setting (so as to avoid potential confusion to others who might be reading through the discussion thread).

gamer99
Contributor - Level 1
thanks so much for the info buddy. basically last night i was firmware on the router 40.21.10.2. and now after the firmware update it has Current Version: 40.21.10.3. this is what causing the issue. before the firmware update everything was super fast and excellent. now everything is horrible. EVERYONE be careful of the new firmware update.
0 Likes
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

is there a workaround for this?

0 Likes
mbabin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

cyberdome, I was experiencing the problem (connecting to certain websites) yesterday and today. The router firmware version on my router (MI424WR-GEN3I) is (and has been) 40.21.10.2, so not using the later (.3) firmware. The workaround that seems to work for me was described by cbenard earlier in this thread (adjust MTU setting on the router).

0 Likes
philip23
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Network -> Network Connections -> Broadband Connection -> Configure Connection

Adjust MTU to manual and set it to 1496. See if it solves your issues. Thanks laurin1

Regarding the instruction above...

Everything looks the same on my router page until I get to Broadband Connection.

I don't see anything that says Configure Connection

There is a page the shows some Connection properties. Next to the title there is a button that says Enable. At the bottom of the page there is a settings button where I can change the MTU from default to manual. And the hit apply. What does the Enable button do before I go into settings?

0 Likes
philip23
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've never used these forums before so this is probably a very naive question... Why don't any Verizon reps get on here and explain what is going on?

0 Likes
mbabin1
Enthusiast - Level 2

My Network -> Network Connections

On the line that says "Broadband Connection (Ethernet/Coax)", I click on the icon in the Action column (Edit).

Select "Settings" (at the bottom).

Look for the "MTU" setting (7th line for me). Set to "Manual", and set the value to 1496 (was 1500).

Select the "Apply" button at the bottom of the settings.