Re: Unable To Connect To Certain Websites
philip23
Enthusiast - Level 2

Changing the MTU to 1496 seemed to clear up a bunch of problems for me. In addition to websites not loading, the ones that were loading were not loading css and they looked weird. So far, that seems to have cleared up.

0 Likes
starsd
Enthusiast - Level 1

I too am having connection issues. a few websites plus online mmo swtor.com game servers.

Renewed Ip address did not work.

adjusting MTU in Windows  7 (64bit) will take a bit of research. but will try and report back.

Please post your fixes,..especially If you play swtor online game.

0 Likes
cbenard
Enthusiast - Level 2

I put together a blog post on how to fix the issue:

How To Fix Verizon FiOS Problem Connecting To Websites

It's got screenshots on how to adjust your router's MTU and a good explanation of the problem. Thanks everyone in here who was a big help in getting this "solved" until Verizon fixes their issue: laurin1, mbabin.

gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

Well, thanks to everyone in this forum.  All the smart people out there. changing the MTU settings to 1496 definitely made a change, Now I am able to hit websites much faster than before. it was not even loading websites before. it would just time out or not load at all.   something definitely happened during the FIRMWARE UPGRADE.  

hope VERIZON is coming up with a FIX.

0 Likes
cajunman90
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the same problem as well! I cannot connect to EA Servers for BF4 on Xbox One. Youtube is terrible, and certain other sites do not download. I agree, I would not think this is some easy change your MTU fix. How can I have been gaming on Fios and my router for almost 4 years and this has never happened. Its almost as if it is selective filtering (not that I am saying Verizon is) because some sites come in fast and the Xbox has a connection and speeds of 57 mbps and 37 mbps down and up respectively.

Has the MTU solution stopped working for anyone?

Also, is this contained to Texas? Seems like many posts are coming from here. I am in the Houston region.

Verizon needs to fix this ASAP!

vespir
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, lowering the MTU to 1496 worked for me for half of today but now it's back to it's same antics again.

I finally got a call from a manager at Verizon, albeit 4 hours after I was supposed to saying that I may get another call from a technician within the next 48 hours if the problem persists.

**UPDATE**

Just logged back into the router to find the setting had somehow been changed back to 1500, even though it was still on manual. I changed it back to 1496 and it's working again. Well played, Verizon. Well played. 😉

cajunman90
Enthusiast - Level 2

So you'll have to keep changing it back everytime this happens? Are you using the router provided by Verizon?

I dont know about you, but I would not want to be changing the settings back every 6 hours or so.

gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

this is happening to mostly people in the TEXAS area.  there is an ACTIVE Outage in TEXAS.

0 Likes
cbenard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Canjunman90, nobody wants to change it in the first place, much less change it back. Thankfully I don't use their router. This shouldn't be anything anyone has to do.

I've gotten some escalation calls back from Verizon and they're aware of an issue in the Dallas area at least (Lewisville and Plano). I've gotten added to that issue and let them know about the MTU stuff and I'm expecting more calls back.

Hopefully we can get it working again soon with the correct default MTU of 1500, but for now, you can do the fix. I don't know what to tell you if their crappy router sets it back occasionally. I don't use it, thankfully.

In the meantime, I suggest you try out the steps in my blog post. I don't if it'll help your Xbox live gaming issues though. I haven't had any issues there, you're in Houston (not Dallas where the rest of us are), and the packet sizes on online gaming should not be that large (you don't need 1.5 KB to detail where a player is and what actions they are taking in real time). If it doesn't work for you, set it back to 1500 and complain directly about your problem.

In the meantime, I'll ask my fellow threadmates to flush twice since you guys in Houston need the water. 🙂

bluejay435

Add me to the list, I can not access many common sites like LinkedIn and Stackoverflow and many of the sites I can access are having issues... I am in Texas as well.

0 Likes