Unable to connect to my school website & others
tamurila1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FiOS for a few years now, and when trying to access my school library site, I receive:

"Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at ezproxy.ecc.edu:2443."

I contacted the school IT, they said it's something with my ISP.  I can access from school, from my phone, but not from my home computer.

When I try to access apple.com:

"Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at www.apple.com."

This happens to quite a few websites, I don't know the pattern, but performing traceroute gives me nothing:

"

Traceroute has started ...

traceroute: Warning: apple.com has multiple addresses; using 17.149.160.49
traceroute to apple.com (17.149.160.49), 64 hops max, 40 byte packets
traceroute: sendto: No route to host
 1 traceroute: wrote apple.com 40 chars, ret=-1
 *traceroute: sendto: No route to host
traceroute: wrote apple.com 40 chars, ret=-1
traceroute: wrote apple.com 40 chars, ret=-1
[...]
40 traceroute: wrote apple.com 40 chars, ret=-1
traceroute: wrote apple.com 40 chars, ret=-1"

Computer:  iMac 7,1

OSX 10.5.8

0 Likes
Re: Unable to connect to my school website & others
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You and I must be in the same general area. I know where this school is. So with that note, I'm assuming you're also coming out of the same part of Verizon's network that I do as far as the backbone is concerned. I was able to load up that site without an issue (HTTPS required!) from Verizon DSL, but I don't have login credentials to test further, so that's that. www.apple.com also works fine here.

Anyways, is the problem occurring when you try to even reach the login page, or is this after you have logged in and have started accessing the school's library of information?

Also, have you by chance turned up the Firewall setting on your FiOS router to a high setting? You may want to disable the firewall temporarily to see if the router's blocking communication. Since the school has their portal running off of a non-standard port, a Firewall setting like "Medium" or "High" can block communication with non-standard ports.

Finally, make sure you're not running into problems due to a VPN or proxy set up on the computer. To help prove that the problem isn't with the computer but is something up with your FiOS connection, connect your phone to your home Wi-Fi if you haven't already and try accessing everything from there. Even better, try from another computer on your network.

0 Likes
tamurila1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re: Firewall

Mac firewall settings set to allow connections.  Disabled stealth mode, problems continued.

Accessing school site:  able to access the regular site, but unable to connect in order to log-in for student-specific content.

I'll charge up the netbook tomorrow and continue experimenting.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Thanks.

For the FiOS router itself, please do the following:

Visit http://192.168.1.1/ and log in using the username of admin, and the password being the Serial number printed on the bottom of the router. Don't worry about the extra dots that appear in the password box, as that's normal, and note the case. You may have to type the password in with all capital leters.

Once logged in, click on "Firewall Settings" and on the main page, make sure the router is set to "No Security" or "Low Security" at a maximum. Medium and High settings can break access to such a site.

0 Likes
tamurila1
Enthusiast - Level 1

I reset my router entirely, including setting the firewall to Low. 

I can access apple, but still cannot log in to student-only content.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Okay. Let's see what sort of results we get from another computer, and then we'll carry forward from that point.

0 Likes