Unable to log into Web GUI - new MI424WR Rev I router
madbill683
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello.  I thought I'd do myself a favor and buy a new Rev I router, to replace my aging Rev E.  I tried to install the new router last night, but I could never get to the web interface (192.168.1.1).  I tried with both my iMac and a Windows 7 laptop.   Re-installed the old router just fine, only had to call Verizon to get the DHCP lease.   Any ideas?  Time to send it back?  

Bill  

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to log into Web GUI - new MI424WR Rev I router
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

The new gen3 router does have a totally different default login than your old one, but if you cannot even get to a login prompt, that is obviously a different issue.

Several basic things to check -

1. Make sure your computer is using DHCP and not a static address
  2. Reboot the computer after you have connected it to the router - this will cause it to ask for a new DHCP lease.
  3. Do a factory reset ont eh router if it hasn't already been done.  It is not unheard of for someone to have mucked around with a device, tehn put it back in the box and returned it.
  4. If still no joy, make sure there is NOTHING else connected to the router - just the one computer with which you are trying to log in.  If  you diisconnected anything in this step, then power-cycle the router too.  You are trying to make sure there are no other conflicts from o0ther network devices that are somehow blocking your access.
  5. If still having the problem, assign a new static address to your PC, such as 192.168.1.200.  This will give you access if the router is using the default 192.168.1.1. but the DHCP server is somehow not working correctly.
  6. Check the router with the computer network cable in each of the ports - could be a hardware problem.

Good luck!

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Did you try a hard reset of the router?

I can't login to the VZ router

0 Likes
madbill683
Enthusiast - Level 1

I did....thanks.  I told the Verizon rep, and she thought it was odd to have a bad router.  I will try this again, when I'm alert.  The Rep also told me, when I was getting the DHCP lease renewed on the OLD router, that the router serial number she saw was that of the NEW Rev I router.  I don't know how these devices authenticate to verizon; with the embedded serial numbers?     

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

@madbill683 wrote:

I did....thanks.  I told the Verizon rep, and she thought it was odd to have a bad router.  I will try this again, when I'm alert.  The Rep also told me, when I was getting the DHCP lease renewed on the OLD router, that the router serial number she saw was that of the NEW Rev I router.  I don't know how these devices authenticate to verizon; with the embedded serial numbers?     

NO.  At least mine has a seperate password listed on its sticker.

0 Likes
madbill683
Enthusiast - Level 1

tns,

I had the password all ready to enter it, but no web gui....my authentication question referred to the process by which the router talks to Verizon.  I'll just try the new router again.   Thanks.

0 Likes
Mauser
Enthusiast - Level 3

The new gen3 router does have a totally different default login than your old one, but if you cannot even get to a login prompt, that is obviously a different issue.

Several basic things to check -

1. Make sure your computer is using DHCP and not a static address
  2. Reboot the computer after you have connected it to the router - this will cause it to ask for a new DHCP lease.
  3. Do a factory reset ont eh router if it hasn't already been done.  It is not unheard of for someone to have mucked around with a device, tehn put it back in the box and returned it.
  4. If still no joy, make sure there is NOTHING else connected to the router - just the one computer with which you are trying to log in.  If  you diisconnected anything in this step, then power-cycle the router too.  You are trying to make sure there are no other conflicts from o0ther network devices that are somehow blocking your access.
  5. If still having the problem, assign a new static address to your PC, such as 192.168.1.200.  This will give you access if the router is using the default 192.168.1.1. but the DHCP server is somehow not working correctly.
  6. Check the router with the computer network cable in each of the ports - could be a hardware problem.

Good luck!

madbill683
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks!  That's why I don't do this for a living.  Need an ip address to talk.....

0 Likes